Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our cat has stopped eating since we got a new kitten, Advice?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this? My tom cat has stopped eating his food and is only eating bits of chicken in the last couple of days since we got a new kitten. well it was actually our cat who found him in our back garden and we took her in but since then our cat has really gone off food. could this be a jealousy thing or does it sound more serious?
    His miaow is a bit hoarse too so I have him on synulox.
    Any replies would be appreciated:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cats can go off their food if they are upset or miffed but since his miaw is hoarse he could have something in his throat either something caught there, or something scraped and hurt his throat or an infection. If he wasn't hoarse then I'd say give him time and he'll not touch his food if there's chicken waiting in the wings (scuse the pun) but it sounds like his got something wrong with his throat. Sometimes stress can bring on ailments but I've never had a cat be physically sick because a newby arrived.

No harm getting him checked out let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Cats can go off their food if they are upset or miffed but since his miaw is hoarse he could have something in his throat either something caught there, or something scraped and hurt his throat or an infection. If he wasn't hoarse then I'd say give him time and he'll not touch his food if there's chicken waiting in the wings (scuse the pun) but it sounds like his got something wrong with his throat. Sometimes stress can bring on ailments but I've never had a cat be physically sick because a newby arrived.

No harm getting him checked out let us know how you get on.

I'll have to bring poor Twitch to the vets tomorrow alright id say. Our vet must think I'm a hypochondriac,if he has a cough,its straight to the vets!
    He doesnt seem to mind when the kitten snuggles up to him so he must be sick alright, starting to worry now:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

It could be because your cat needs the worm tablet??

pic of your kitten please!!

Advertisement