Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

power steering problem!!

Options
  • 03-02-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I have a Nissan Primera built in 2000, great car very reliable.

Power steering has been giving me trouble.............

When engine is cold the power steering doesn't work! First I noticed that the fluid level was a little under minimum so I topped it up (with correct fluid of course!) the steering improved slightly when cold but when the engine is warm the steering is ok except for when I lock the steering in one direction, then it feels tight and shudders slightly! I haven't checked anything else (belt etc.) but was hoping for somebody could share some wisdom on the subject before I bring the car to the garage.............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Loose/worn belt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

when the engine is cold and the power steering is not working could you see if it works on high revs. my car has the same issue

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Get your fluid renewed, remember the car is 11 years old so it could be having an effect on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭neilr4

Will change fluid and belt just to be sure

Thanks lads! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

As long as you haven't been topping it up with brake fluid it should be fixable.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Nissans of this vintage suffer from power steering fluid seeping from the pipes themselves, usually around where they join the PS resevoir.

If the fluid ran low then there could be air in the system, if you topped it back up the start the car, leave the cap off the PS resevoir and keep turning the steering wheel from lock to lock. You will see lots of air bubbles coming up into the fluid. Keep going(checking the fluid level) untill the steering feels normal.

If that fails, then the pump is likely worn, also fairly common on older Nissans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

I just replaced a pipe on my almera, i started to notice the same things a while ago got fluid and topped it up, 2 weeks later i was out and noticed a loud groaning coming from the steering, look under the bonnet and there was a load of fluid on the splash guard under the engine. when you are looking for the leak get a someone to keep the steering locked and when you find it you will notice it dripping out, but replacing it will be messy, very messy!!

Advertisement