Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a second dog :)

Options
  • 03-02-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for others experience, advice, opinions etc..

We took a foster dog in last year and he ended up staying :)
    Hes very settled and very sociable and I have been thinking about getting a second dog for a while, for company for the first doggy and also hoping it would have a beneficial effect on his issues with separation anxiety (primarily I just think having a playmate would be fun for him and have seen my friends with multiple dogs all playing together and it seems to work out really well for them)

The dog I am thinking about is another foster so that gives me a chance to try her out and see how it goes without having to give a definite commitment if things didnt go well between the two.
    I am home full time so theres plenty of time and attention for another dog but I just wanted others input as to their experiences with having more than one dog...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Twice the food twice the vet bills twice the poo but best thing I ever did was adopting my 2nd dog!! My 2 are like chalk and cheese and it just works! They are best friends and spend hours wrestling in the garden every day!! Fostering with a view to adopting is a great approach to finding the perfect pal for your doggie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

We got our second dog about two months ago and she is very much so part of our family now...infact I don't know what we did before we had dogs!

TBH financially theres little/no difference in having two, just extra food really. It'll be great company for your first dog and won't it be great to give another rescue dog a loving home.
    We fostered our second dog initially just to make sure they gelled well and everything worked out OK.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out with this particular dog, you'll have given the dog a nice home for a few weeks, you write out an assessment for the shelter and future owner and try another dog and no guilt. Although TBH, I think you'll know when you've found a good buddy for your own though. sorry for sounding cheesy but you will just know:o

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Main difference with two dogs versus one is financial - vets fees, food etc. I have four dogs and did, briefly consider getting a fifth. However, I foster so if I took in a fifth I couldnt continue with the fostering, which I really enjoy so now we have a rolling procession of foster dogs coming through the house. Also with a foster I dont have the additional expense of the fifth dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 snapper2

We have two dogs, they are not rescue, but rehomed. Two adullt bitches. we had six months with the first before getting the second. I got the second when working away, and she had a short couple of days with just me. I asked advice about introducing her to our other. I was advised take the house one out then take the second, then take them for a walk together before going in. we have never had a problem. (Touch wood).:cool:
    Snapper2

Advertisement