Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice needed please

Options
  • 03-02-2011 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

HI I have a 1.6 03 Astra njoy, 103,000k miles, I am thinking I am going to have to change it for something more economical and diesel. It is prob only worth €3.5 k. Can anyone advise me what I could buy for this price range in a mid size car with a diesel engine - I don't even know where to start looking. Thanks - really upset about having to get rid of this car but I just can't afford it anymore

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

pollyos wrote: »
    HI I have a 1.6 03 Astra njoy, 103,000k miles, I am thinking I am going to have to change it for something more economical and diesel. It is prob only worth €3.5 k. Can anyone advise me what I could buy for this price range in a mid size car with a diesel engine - I don't even know where to start looking. Thanks - really upset about having to get rid of this car but I just can't afford it anymore

What kind of mileage do you do? What kind of budget do you have? Is it only what you get for the astra?

Make sure to do your sums, if you don't do all that much mileage, spending 3500 on a diesel to save a small amount on the price of petrol Vs. Diesel does not make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pollyos

What kind of mileage do you do? What kind of budget do you have? Is it only what you get for the astra?

Make sure to do your sums, if you don't do all that much mileage, spending 3500 on a diesel to save a small amount on the price of petrol Vs. Diesel does not make sense.
    HI unfortunately I do a lot of driving and it is very costly, only working part time at moment so price of petrol is crippling me - also tax is very high. Only have whatever I get for astra - so not a high budget

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

unless you buy a 2008 or newer you won't save anything on tax, if anything it will cost you more in tax as most diesels are larger than 1.6 litre, and on a budget of 3500 you will not get anything near 2008 in a diesel.

Advertisement