Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warmest January in 14 years?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

An article in yesterday's Irish Independent said last January was the warmest in 14 years. As far as I'm aware the article was referring to Ireland only. I think the claim was then repeated on the 6 One news.

Surely this is a mistake? January's mean temps were around 1 to 2 degrees below normal almost everywhere last month so I'd have presumed it was one of the coldest Januarys over the past decade (last January excluded obviously).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

compsys wrote: »
    An article in yesterday's Irish Independent said last January was the warmest in 14 years. I think the claim was then repeated on the 6 One news.

Surely this is a mistake? January's mean temps were around 1 to 2 degrees below normal almost everywhere last month so I'd have presumed it was one of the coldest Januarys over the past decade (last January excluded obviously).

That seems kinda bizarre. Definitely wasn't the mildest in 14 years.
    Have you any links to shows where it was mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I generally don't pay any attention to what the media has to say about the weather. As you guys have already stated, temps were generally below average across the island. If they say bs about the weather then I can only imagine the other inaccuracies that come from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

January 2011 report on Met E

Advertisement