Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

macbook pro 13" or 15"

Options
  • 03-02-2011 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

going to buy a macbook pro today, still not decided on 13" or 15"...

leaning towards the i7 15", for €2199 + €349 for applecare = €2548

or the 13" core 2 duo for €1499 + €249 for applecare = €1748

is the 15" worth the extra €800?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It depends. Do you need the extra screen real-estate? Do you need the extra power that the i5 would provide? What will you be using the Macbook Pro for?

The 13-inch is far better in terms of portability. If you are going to be carrying it around a lot I'd go for that.

Also, you might want to consider holding off buying for a bit. Macbook Pros are due an update soon, probably in the next month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

thanks for your input, well basically just be using it for light browsing, email,
    general usage.. currently using a vaio 15 inch core 2 duo laptop with win 7.

not in a major hurry, to purchase, like the ability to take it with me while traveling and using on a flight.

will the look and feel of the macbook pro change with the refresh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

of course it's all a matter of individual preference but that's an awful lot of money for light browsing, email, general usage etc.

who_ru wrote: »
    of course it's all a matter of individual preference but that's an awful lot of money for light browsing, email, general usage etc.

maybe then the macbook air is worth looking at?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think 13 inch might be best for you. Next refresh is unlikely feature a redesign, but ya never know with Apple.

Air is great but probably better suited as a secondary machine than a primary machine. I.e. Using it constantly on the go.

• Advertisement

update: went with the 15" core i7 in the end, its an amazing machine, and feels very solid, just setting up now, cost a bit over €2500 incl the apple care...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Too late now but if you are only using it with browsing and general usage I think the 13" or even air would have been plenty good enough unless you wanted the bigger screen.

Too late now but if you are only using it with browsing and general usage I think the 13" or even air would have been plenty good enough unless you wanted the bigger screen.

tried out all the macs in the store, went with the i7 as the core 2 duo has been around a while, and wanted a decent spec machine... and liked the 15" screen, not much difference in weight between the 13" and 15"

Oooooh, 15-inch i7, I'm so jealous. :D

Enjoy!

Oooooh, 15-inch i7, I'm so jealous. :D

Enjoy!

cheers, its a super sweet machine, just loaded office 2011 mac on it, moved itunes library over, fantastic sound from speakers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Dont mind me Im just jealous too.

Btw the way the base 13" is still fast.
    (running a win7, xp and ubuntu vm is the only time i max it out, running flash youtube in all four spaces)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

If you're anything like me, you bought the laptop with the intention of being able to bring it with you while traveling - but in reality it never actually leaves your desk. :D

Still, I much prefer the notebook form factor, couldn't go back to a desktop now. The gap between them in terms of performance is very, very small.

Advertisement