Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Broken Window Winder = NCT Failure?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

My car is due an NCT and the electric window winder broke in the freezing weather pre-Xmas and I didn't have the time or money to fix it immediately. Would that cause it to fail the NCT?
    I didn't spot anything in the Windows section of the Car Test Manual but a guy told me it may be a problem.
    Anyone know for sure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

If it's the drivers door window then yes it's a fail I believe, any other window and you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's in the manual all right, under Section 10.

Method of Testing:
    6. Check that the driver’s window operating mechanism is functioning properly.
    and
    Reasons for Failure:
    10 Opening mechanism of driver’s window not operating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

I had the same window fixed few weeks back, it was over €100 :eek: needed a new loader or something, don't have the sheet with me at the min.

Run it through they might not notice it and if they do wouldn't it be just a visual check (the retest) it won't cost anything since it wouldn't have to go through the centre itself.

Someone else will know I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

its a fail alright:mad:......but as suggested above, it's only a visual check when you get it fixed so its not all bad if they cop it.....this exact thing happened to me last year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd a problem with the window on my car on the front driver side not working and silicone spray helped for a few days before the motor went and had to be replaced.

You could try the silicone, if it's something minor it might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Yes. They failed me for drivers side window not operating back in Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Only a drivers door window will cause a fail all others and you will pass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The damage may only be two plastic "runners" that guide the glass as the window regulator mechanism moves. These are only a few quid to get, of course you'd need to fit them or get them fitted.
    Of course the regulator itself may be bent or cracked or the motor could have burnt out too. Also double check that it us not just a blown fuse. What's happening when you press the switch? Is the window moving at strange angles? Can you hear the motor operating?
    Definite fail, they will open it when running through the test & if you have it open already they'll close it when parking it up at the other end while they go in to print of cert, etc. No way of cheating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated. It is the drivers window so it needs to be sorted
    The damage may only be two plastic "runners" that guide the glass as the window regulator mechanism moves. These are only a few quid to get, of course you'd need to fit them or get them fitted.
    Of course the regulator itself may be bent or cracked or the motor could have burnt out too. Also double check that it us not just a blown fuse. What's happening when you press the switch? Is the window moving at strange angles? Can you hear the motor operating?

Initially it grinded its way up and down a few times but wouldn't fully close and then it seized and wouldn't move at all. I brought it to a garage where they put it manually up to the closed position and advised that the motor be replaced. They said there'd be a 10-15 day delivery (as its a Passat:confused:) and it'd be €250ish. This was Xmas week so I let it sit until now.
    I think I'll try a local mechanic now to see if a reconditioned or second hand motor would work rather than heading for the main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Be wary of the motor being blamed. my wifes 04 pasatt's driver window stopped working. Started grinding at first, then the switch was sticking and putting window down instead of up, had to pull the glass up finally by hand. Brought it to my local friendly polish mechanic, first thing he did was put the ignition key in the door lock and turned it all the way left or right, which made all the other windows go down. the drivers window went down although it made a hell of a noise, this i think was to see that the motor was ok. After he'd sorted it out said it was not the motor but that it was because of water in the cables.

• Advertisement
Advertisement