Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Go About Getting an MRI

Options
  • 03-02-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I've had a lot of trouble with my lower back in the past 6 months which has got progressively worse. I've had no luck with physio and would like to get an MRI.

How would I go about this and would I be covered by health insurance. The plan I currently have is here

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I don't know but it sounds like it might fall under

"Full cover for day case procedures in private &
    high tech hospitals, subject to €125 excess"

Maybe though they'd only cover you if you were referred by someone. I'd ring the physio up cos they may have had patients who've done this before. Or you could ring Aviva and see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

The hia comparison section shows that under your plan you would be covered for an MRI scan in their approved centres but you would have to pay €300 for a scan elsewhere. AFAIK you need to be referred by a GP for a scan, but maybe the physio can refer you - I'm not sure. Either way before you get your scan check with Aviva to make sure you have full cover ! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

I got a MRI scan via my GP. However, I had to wait a long time as I went through public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I don't know but it sounds like it might fall under

"Full cover for day case procedures in private &
    high tech hospitals, subject to €125 excess"

Day case procedures would cover the likes of colonoscopies but I'm fairly sure all the health insurers treat scans differently to day cases. The excellent hia website that I linked to above will give details of scan cover under all the different health plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

Squiggle wrote: »
    Day case procedures would cover the likes of colonoscopies but I'm fairly sure all the health insurers treat scans differently to day cases. The excellent hia website that I linked to above will give details of scan cover under all the different health plans.

I recently had to get an MRI, I got referred through my Physio (Leinster Clinic, Maynooth) who spotted the problem. He rang up Chartered Medical in Smithfield (http://www.chartermedical.ie/), got a cancellation appointment 4 days later and cost €250 up front. I have no health insurance. Had the results on a CD handed to me there and then, and results also sent to the GP. This was in late November. Just my experience for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Recently had one after being referred to an outpatients clinic after an accident at Christmas.

The doctor who I saw there gave me a letter to get an MRI. I contacted the MRI location (in a private hospital) and it was arranged withing 2-3 days. I have VHI, but wasn't asked for any payment up front, just my VHI details.

On the other hand, I've had CT scans in a public hospital - sent there by a consultant, and I've always had to pay up front - something like €165 each time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

You may not necessarily need an MRI, though obviously they are the most thorough scan. My situation is that I live in Italy and do not qualify for any state care here and started to get lower back pain a few months ago. I was quoted upwards of 600 euro for an MRI but just could not afford it. After talking to the Dr again he said in his opinion I had a hernia in my back and that an xray and ct scan would show this up. Managed to get said scans done for 120 euro all in and hey presto it is indeed a herniated disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

my GP referred me for MRI no problem. Now there were 2 place one I think was Blackrock where i would have to pay up front ( about €600) and then claim it back from my health insurance but I opted for Advance Radiology Dundrum (i think)who deal direct with the insurance company and i did not have to pay anything. If you call them they will tell you what your insurance plan covers straight away.
    I was in within a week with Advance Radiology.

Advertisement