Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

v70 7 seater

Options
  • 03-02-2011 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Does anyone know if all V70's have 7 seats? If you have one how do you find it as a family car with kids, buggies etc.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm pretty sure it's an option, the standard car has 5 seats. I've never owned one, but I have driven them - they're as spacious, comfortable and practical as they look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

nmhbutler wrote: »
    Does anyone know if all V70's have 7 seats?

They're not standard - there's an option for two extra folding seats in the boot - they're rear facing, so the passengers will be looking out the back widow. You lose your boot space when you have them up, but the fold right into the floor, so when thye're down, they don't take up any boot space. Never sat in them, but the low seat height from the floor makes them appear more suitable to smaller children than adults.

Here's an example:

16686820_3_0.6324341987279586_M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Please, don't do that to your kids ;)

I've been behind a few of these types of cars (E class has'em too) and the look of misery on the poor kids in the back as they are stared at makes you want to cry.

On the other hand, I've also seen kids make the most of it and hurl abuse at drivers etc behind. It's like driving behind a school bus.

So, moral, do us all a favour incl your kids ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

E39MSport wrote: »
    Please, don't do that to your kids ;)

I've been behind a few of these types of cars (E class has'em too) and the look of misery on the poor kids in the back as they are stared at makes you want to cry.

On the other hand, I've also seen kids make the most of it and hurl abuse at drivers etc behind. It's like driving behind a school bus.

So, moral, do us all a favour incl your kids ;-)
    Don't do it to your kids for safety reasons, and not the ones listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It was an option on the V70 before the new model came out (can't be fitted in the new model).

Originally was a factory option only, but they released a retro fit kit that dealers can fit to any pre-new model (I think).

I've never sat in them in a Volvo, but we had an old model E-Class Estate in last year with the rear facing seats so I thought I'd have a look. I'm by no means a giant, and only just about managed to squeeze in to the seat so they are only for small children - that you really don't like, and don't mind putting in danger (IMHO).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

What's the safety issue supposed to be?

Both Volvo and Merc are pretty safety conscious companies. I don't see these seats being more dangerous than the 3rd row in any MPV/SUV.

In fact, I'd say rear facing seats are probably safer, and the whole vehicle is safer for not being jacked up, so it mught well be better than the back row in an XC90, the standard "think-of-the-children" safety wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Flying glass in to the face of young children in the event of a rear end collision? At least with forward facing seats the seat itself will protect most of the body from light debris.

Personally I would cr@p myself sitting in one of them watching cars getting ever closer under braking. It's bad enough watching cars in the rear view mirror.

Both Volvo and Merc are pretty safety conscious companies. I don't see these seats being more dangerous than the 3rd row in any MPV/SUV.

In fact, I'd say rear facing seats are probably safer, and the whole vehicle is safer for not being jacked up, so it mught well be better than the back row in an XC90, the standard "think-of-the-children" safety wagon.
    Rear end collisions. I don't think they (safety standards) are as stringent when it comes to rear ending collisions. And as R.O.R says, flying glass too.
    The cars aren't desinged for people to be facing the wrong way in a collision (of any sort).
    My 2c only.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

cadaliac wrote: »
    Rear end collisions.

As opposed to frontal collisions, which are more common, when a rear facing seat is superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I have driven kids around for years in a 7-seater Volvo 850 (late model - same as the early V70). Here are my comments:

1. The kids LOVE the rear facing seats. They'd nearly fight to get into them.

2. Teach kids to smile and wave at cars behind; not make 'other' gestures LOL.

3. The seats are fitted with full, three-point seat belts.

4. The rear facing seats are for children up to age 12 or so. After that their legs get too long.

5. I consider the Volvo rear facing seats SAFER than the back seats in many mid sized people carriers. Look at where occupant's heads are in the latter, i.e. about 150mm from the rear windscreen. Whereas kid's torsos and heads are about 800mm in from the rear of the car in the Volvo. Broken leg preferable to a broken head in the event of being rear-ended.

6. The only potential safety downside is, I'm not sure how kids in the back would fare in a rear, side impact (which is rare). The seat is a bench type, and occupants are relying fully on the seat belt to keep them in place.

7. You are driving a normal car, not an MPV; not a jeep. Having driven them all, I prefer to drive a normal car. But that is just my own preference.

8. Overall I find the car excellent for use as an occasional 7-seater, e.g. bringing extra kids to a party on the weekend. If you've got a family of 6 or 7, you need a People Carrier.

9. [edit] For some reason, probably my kids looking at the driver behind, I don't seem to get tailgated with kids in the back. Drivers tend to establish a respectable distance behind me.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nmhbutler

Thanks for all the replies very helpful.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Rear end collisions. I don't think they (safety standards) are as stringent when it comes to rear ending collisions. And as R.O.R says, flying glass too.
    The cars aren't desinged for people to be facing the wrong way in a collision (of any sort).
    My 2c only.

We'll stick with the manufacturers design/build/test process and reputation then.

We'll stick with the manufacturers design/build/test process and reputation then.
    Go on then....and what did you come up with?

Check the wink. Give it a rest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Check the wink. Give it a rest. :)

'Oi you two. No fighting in the back'.

LOL that brings back memories.:pac:

Very good :D

Advertisement