Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 y/old Retriever wandering for first time after we kept pup.

Options
  • 03-02-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭

Long story short our 2 year old retriever had her first litter of pups this year. We kept one and things have been going fine until this morning.

The dog never wandered until we kept the pup. We live on a farm so she always had the field around the house and her and the pup seemed content to stay there and just came down the rest of the farm when Dad or I went with them.

This morning I had to pluck them off the road about 500m from the house. It's a very busy road and we have lost two dogs to it in the past, thankfully without anyone being injured.

Any suggestions as to keeping the dogs in? I'm going to improve the fencing around the garden but any other suggestions are welcome.

They have a good quality of life, are well fed and get lots of walks and attention. The only blip in this schedule is Mondays and Tuesdays when they are left on their own for up to 4 hours at a time.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Have a read of this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056165580

It is your responsibility to keep your dog contained and under control so you must build a pen or a dog run to stop them from getting out.

I cant believe you would allow this and put your dogs at risk especially after losing 2 dogs already by being killed on the road:mad: I feel sorry for your dogs if they are able to wander and be put at risk of being knocked down so please sort this sooner rather than later or you will end up with losing 2 more dogs.

Dogs will always wander if they are able to and allowed to. Nothing will stop them unless they are confined properly so it is up to you to build proper fencing to stop them from getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Any suggestions as to keeping the dogs in? I'm going to improve the fencing around the garden but any other suggestions are welcome.
    andreac wrote: »

I cant believe you would allow this and put your dogs at risk especially after losing 2 dogs already by being killed on the road:mad: I feel sorry for your dogs if they are able to wander and be put at risk of being knocked down so please sort this sooner rather than later or you will end up with losing 2 more dogs.

Have another read of my post, I've highlighted the relevant bit for you.

I'm looking for suggestions/advice re the best type of fencing etc., not moralising and sympathy for my dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I'm looking for suggestions/advice re the best type of fencing etc., not moralising and sympathy for my dogs.

Have a read of the link andreac has posted for you.

You can buy dog runs and set them up in your garden somewhere. If the dogs are only alone for 4 hours then you wouldnt need anything too big, just enough to contain them for that time.

Until you get the proper fencing up, then there is no other way to contain them without putting them in a dog run or keeping them locked in to your house or a shed/stable etc.

I wouldnt suggest tying them up either as that is dangerous and you could risk doing damage to your dog and injuring them.

It really isnt that hard to know how to contain them, dog run or keep them in the house or shed until you are back from work, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I would suggest building them an adequate run with an indoor and outdoor section to keep the dogs confined when you are not there to supervise, either that or keep them indoors.
    I would suggest feeding them, giving them bones, treats etc. only in this pen so that they will want to stay around it when you are there as opposed to wandering off to find something more interesting. Of course lock the pen when you are not there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Have another read of my post, I've highlighted the relevant bit for you.

Where does it say you're looking for advice on the best type of fencing to get? You asked for suggestions on 'keeping the dogs in', andreac suggested building a dog run or dog pen, what's the problem?
    And I agree with her that after losing 2 dogs on the road already, you wouldn't have nipped this situation in the bud and not made sure the existing dogs couldn't get out at all.

Okay, that is beginning to get to the kind of advice I am looking.

Is it more feasible to attempt to totally seal up the garden and allow them to have that area or build a smaller secure area within the garden? The second option would be suitable for the times when we are away from home but would mean that when they are outside the enclosure they could still get out.

Ideally I suppose the best option is to do both, seal the garden and build a run for them. At the moment the garden is walled with post and rail on two sides and solid vertical timber fencing and the house on the other two.

Is chain link the most suitable material to use?
    Does the run need to have a concrete base?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Training OP. My OH's parents have two dogs that have never strayed past the edge of the property despite not having gates or fences. One of them has only joined the family within the last year-he had not had he most basic training but with basic training he will stay within the garden, so it can be done. Spend a couple of hours taking the dogs around the property and when they go past where they should, reprimand them, and praise them when they stay where they should. Until you trust them not to wander off perhaps you should keep them in. Kongs are cheap options for keeping them amused for a few hours. Keeping them in the house or shed for a few hours on a short term basis won't kill either them or you, so when they are going to be left alone this should be done.

If you don't have the time or inclination to train them properly then do as has been suggested and build a run.

Is chain link the most suitable material to use?
    Does the run need to have a concrete base?

I would used something like chain link and put down a concrete floor on the outdoor section with access to a drain, it makes it much easier to wash down and keep clean.
    shinikins wrote: »
    Training OP. My OH's parents have two dogs that have never strayed past the edge of the property despite not having gates or fences. .

With the greatest of respect I don't think I could leave my dogs alone without being suitable enclosed especially near a busy road no matter how well trained they are, it only takes one time for them to stray for tragedy to happen.

Training OP. My OH's parents have two dogs that have never strayed past the edge of the property despite not having gates or fences. One of them has only joined the family within the last year-he had not had he most basic training but with basic training he will stay within the garden, so it can be done. Spend a couple of hours taking the dogs around the property and when they go past where they should, reprimand them, and praise them when they stay where they should. Until you trust them not to wander off perhaps you should keep them in. Kongs are cheap options for keeping them amused for a few hours. Keeping them in the house or shed for a few hours on a short term basis won't kill either them or you, so when they are going to be left alone this should be done.

If you don't have the time or inclination to train them properly then do as has been suggested and build a run.

To be honest, you can never trust a dog not to wander even with training, if he is still able to leave the property.

At the end of the day, they are animals and if no one, or no thing,ie fencing/gates, is actually stopping them, then they can wander at any time they like. If they get a scent, or if something exciting enough tempts them away they will go and no amount of training will stop them.

I would never rely on training to keep a dog contained on your property if the proper fencing etc is not there to stop them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Training OP. My OH's parents have two dogs that have never strayed past the edge of the property despite not having gates or fences.

Well you've been very lucky then. Training is not foolproof, all you need is for them to get one whiff of something really interesting for them to be gone wandering. It really depends on the personality of the dog as to whether it'll be trained not to wander and there's very few dogs that will respond with any kind of reliability in face of temptation. Also it's not guaranteed and foolish to rely on training alone. It just takes once for them to go out and cause an accident, best case scenario vet bills, worst case scenario fatalities and very hefty legal bills.

OP if you've already got post and rail fencing I'd add chainlink to it, should be adequate. If you've open boundary with nothing then posts and chainlink could be a relatively inexpensive option.

lrushe wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect I don't think I could leave my dogs alone without being suitable enclosed especially near a busy road no matter how well trained they are, it only takes one time for them to stray for tragedy to happen.
    andreac wrote: »
    To be honest, you can never trust a dog not to wander even with training, if he is still able to leave the property.

At the end of the day, they are animals and if no one, or no thing,ie fencing/gates, is actually stopping them, then they can wander at any time they like. If they get a scent, or if something exciting enough tempts them away they will go and no amount of training will stop them.

I would never rely on training to keep a dog contained on your property if the proper fencing etc is not there to stop them too.
    Well you've been very lucky then. Training is not foolproof, all you need is for them to get one whiff of something really interesting for them to be gone wandering. It really depends on the personality of the dog as to whether it'll be trained not to wander and there's very few dogs that will respond with any kind of reliability in face of temptation. Also it's not guaranteed and foolish to rely on training alone. It just takes once for them to go out and cause an accident, best case scenario vet bills, worst case scenario fatalities and very hefty legal bills.

OP if you've already got post and rail fencing I'd add chainlink to it, should be adequate. If you've open boundary with nothing then posts and chainlink could be a relatively inexpensive option.

Either you've picked me up wrong, or i wasn't clear, I'm not saying that training alone will keep a dog in your own property, and yes my OH's parents have been very fortunate that they have trained their dogs to stay in the garden so they are definitly in a minority, but to just fix a fence and think that will stop a dog wandering off is foolish in the extreme. A dog needs both, and OP has already stated that they are fixing their fence, i was merely stating that they need to train the dogs too. :rolleyes:

A dog needs both, and OP has already stated that they are fixing their fence, i was merely stating that they need to train the dogs too. :rolleyes:

Sorry but that's not how it came across, it seemed like it was an either or option.

Sorry but that's not how it came across, it seemed like it was an either or option.

You've misread my post then, where does it say either/or???!! As i said, the OP had already stated that they were fixing their fence, my suggestion was that the dogs also needed training, or just build a run if they weren't bothered. I dind't feel the need to repeat what had already been said, but perhaps i should have, it would prevent others from taking everything literally.

You've misread my post then, where does it say either/or???!! .

I said it seemed like an either / or option:

If (either) you don't have the time or inclination to train them properly then (or) do as has been suggested and build a run.

I said it seemed like an either / or option:

If (either) you don't have the time or inclination to train them properly then (or) do as has been suggested and build a run.

Yes, it does seem like an option when you put words in my mouth! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bog Bunny

Long story short our 2 year old retriever had her first litter of pups this year. We kept one and things have been going fine until this morning.

<snip>
    This morning I had to pluck them off the road about 500m from the house. It's a very busy road and we have lost two dogs to it in the past, thankfully without anyone being injured.

Do you realise what you are saying here? It may be technically correct that the two dogs weren't injured, they were killed.

As to the enclosure; chainlink fencing may be cheaper, but it is not the best option. Take a look at chainlink fences all around the country (sportsgrounds etc) and see for yourself how dilapidated they are after a short while. A dog that is determined to get out just has to pull on one loop long and hard, and the whole chain-system goes to bits there. Chainlink is made of single zig-zag strands that are only wound around each other, if you pull one strand out you can part the fence. Also without high tensil wires at the bottom and top, plus straining wires in the middle, a dog can push it down or up with ease.

A better option is either high-tensil deer fencing (if you have a large area) or galvanized weld mesh panels connected to proper posts. These last a lifetime.

Could it be that the mother has come or is about to come into season?
    When hormones take over, the best trained dog can go AWOL.

I would used something like chain link and put down a concrete floor on the outdoor section with access to a drain, it makes it much easier to wash down and keep clean.

A better idea is removing the top soil, putting down a weed barrier (nylon material) and then put a layer of drainage chippins or small sea pebbles down.
    Then you don't have to worry about getting the level of a concreted area correct so that all surface water runs away from it quicklywithout leaving puddles, nor the build-up of urine smell that is inevitable if the concrete is not sealed with an industrial acid-proof component.

Dogs prefer to stand on softer surfaces than concrete.

It also makes economical and environmental sense because you don't waste water, poop pick-up is easier and quicker from gravel. The urine soaks away and is broken down by the soil's bacteria.

Well I've gathered the materials and am going to fence the garden in such away that they have access to the entire garden and a newly created paddock (1/4 acre) in the first field around the house. Not going to put down a concrete floor as they already use the field for toilet anyway.

Going to run 4 strands of high tensile wire and electrify the bottom two from the farm fencer. That way they will have access to their shelter and water in the garden and a good sized run in the field around the house.

• Advertisement

Got it all fenced in so no more roaming.

However the dogs are now dirtying the garden where previously they went into the field. They still have safe access to this area but won't go in there.

Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

i think Woodies sell dog runs Rowley..... :p

gatecrash wrote: »
    i think Woodies sell dog runs Rowley..... :p

Bah, never pay for what you can build yourself! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Bah, never pay for what you can build yourself! :D

last time i get them vouchers for you so!! :D:D

gatecrash wrote: »