Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint crack / scratch or underlying cracked carbon frame??!!

Options
  • 03-02-2011 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Ive just noticed a small scratch / crack just behind the bottom bracket on the non chain set side on my carbon racer!!
    Never been dropped or crashed. Didnt notice before but am little concerned.:(
    Sent pics to where I got bike & they seemed pretty sure it's just the paint.
    Ive tried stressing the area and there's no movement but this bike is only 1 year old & I only used bike for a few training spins & club races last year - total usage approx 7 months.
    Am planning to take bike to Richies in Swords to get their opinion but am interested to know if anyone has any suggestions.:confused:

005.JPG

008.JPG

007.JPG

006.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

I had a pair or Ritchey forks and thought the same. Unidirectional CF tends to give the appearance of a crack depending on the light and the angle it hits it there was also a scratch in the clearcoat. Anyway I got 1000 grade sandpaper and rubbed it down and and it wasnt a crack just a scratch so had to polish it up with a compound.

I wouldnt do that if I were you! just get some polishing compound and it will rub out the scratch. Also, if its still in warranty bring it back and ask the supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I just see scratches. Can you run a finger nail through it? How deep is it? It honestly looks like scratches on the clearcoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Can just about get a finger nail in where scratch / crack appears but not v deep if I'm honest.
    Might be just paranoid re carbon but this is my first carbon frame & I'm just not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

From looking at the photo's i would be happy enough that it only appears to be a paint flaw and nothing more. As you said you have stressed the area and no development in size etc. There are areas that are under higher stresses/loads than the location in the photo and would be highly unusual for a crack to appear there.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭polariz

morana wrote: »
    I wouldnt do that if I were you! just get some polishing compound and it will rub out the scratch.

Hi, where can I get polishing compound? I've a few scratches on my frame I'd like to seal up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Motor factor. Just a 'cutting' polish may be enough, otherwise you want 'rubbing compound'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭C3PO

polariz wrote: »
    Hi, where can I get polishing compound? I've a few scratches on my frame I'd like to seal up..

Polishing/Cutting compound doesn't seal things up - it basically wears away the surrounding paintwork to the same level as the bottom of the scratch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

So Ive had everyone so far tell me not to worry & it's NOT a crack in the frame. My father-in-law who has a car crash repair biz suggested that to paint carbon the primer used may result in some minor paint flaws & could result in paint cracks.
    Went to Richie's in Swords today & harassed Frank & Richie to take a good look!!
    Thanks lads for advice & for Richie's inspection.
    Reckon I just need to stop worrying & do more training!!
    Racing starts in April!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭polariz

RPL1 wrote: »
    Polishing/Cutting compound doesn't seal things up - it basically wears away the surrounding paintwork to the same level as the bottom of the scratch!!
    Yikes, ok, that's not what I want. I have a couple of scratches to the clearcoat.. some relatively wide. I'd like to seal them up so water doesn't get down to the lower layers. I've read clear nail polish will do but this sounds kinda half-assed to me. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

polariz wrote: »
    Yikes, ok, that's not what I want. I have a couple of scratches to the clearcoat.. some relatively wide. I'd like to seal them up so water doesn't get down to the lower layers. I've read clear nail polish will do but this sounds kinda half-assed to me. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

very small art brush a bit of epoxy resin fill the crack allow to dry and then use the compound to even out over existing clear coat

• Advertisement
Advertisement