Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water tank/cylinder leaking!

Options
  • 03-02-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought an apartment 4 years ago, a newly built one, and the water tank/cylinder is leaking!! aren't these things supposed to last a life time??
    Thing is i can't locate where the water is coming from, is not from any of the pipe joints. The thing comes with insulation, so guess i'll have to remove this to find out, but, is it worth it, can these things be repaired or whould i need a new one?
    Funny enough, no insurance will cover that, being an apartment there is a common insurance for the building and they say they dont cover. The other insurance i have is contents, and they say they dont cover that either!!! i just dont get it!!
    Can anybody help, should any of the insurers cover this. and, Do you know if this things can be repaired? if not, how much would you think i'm gonna be charged for a replacement?

Forgot to mention the thing comes with just 1 year warranty!! so no luck on that front either :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

if its leaking from the cylinder then yes it will need replaced and I wouldn't advise repairing. Double check all the connections again, there should be about 5 in the tank - if its not a connection then its more likely to be the dome on the bottom of the tank - is it sitting on a stool or even on 2 pieces of wood or is it direct on the floor? I'm guessing the floor is concrete being an apartment? Its possible the concrete has ate into the copper.

How long is a lifetime? Some could last 20 years, others a mere 4, 5, 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

well, I'd be happy with 20 years.. i think 4 is not acceptable :(

Not sure now if its directly on the floor,, i think it is tho.. and yeah, it's concrete..

So no repair recomended? Well, guess that's gonna cost me around 1k!! I'll make sure i get one with longer warranty this time.

looking at the bright side, i'm in the ground floor, so at least i wont have to pay damages to a 3rd party..

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

hold on.is this a combination cylinder.hot on the bottom and cold on the top .chech ur fittings and especially over flow too.check ur celing above u that its not coming upstairs if there is.also is all the pipework wet.i done alot of aptments in me time and found that alot of the water everywhere was condensation.u need to eleminate bit by bit at a time

yes, is one of them combination ones.
    I dont think is just condensation because there is a considerable amount of water, is coming out the hot press and has ruined my wooden floors in the hallway..
    Still it could be that as well, coz we found mould in the hot press and i guess that comes from long time humidity.. it wouldnt come up from one day to the other...
    when i first found out i wrapped all the pipes with paper and when i checked again they were all still dry.. so i dont think it's the pipes :(
    havent checked the ceiling tho.. that'd be a nice one.. water coming from upstairs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

can you post pics of the area, damage and dampness? more pics the better really..

• Advertisement

not at home now, but i'll take some pics later and will post them.

Thanks for all the help

Advertisement