Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe Smoking: Opinions, tips?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 6:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hello everyone. I'm new. I had a good root around the site and can't find any other threads about pipe smoking (specifically: starting off) and so would love to get some feedback from more experienced pipe smokers.

I got mine as a gift from a friend after jokingly mentioning I'd love to smoke a pipe someday. Great dude. I love it but I'm having some trouble with really stupid things like keeping it lit and getting a good draw. It's a Peterson's pipe with a 'Cara Black' bowl and a fishtail stem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

This is the procedure I follow and it works well. When I become more experienced I'll try other packing methods but for now I don't see the need to faff about with a winning method. :)
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/packing.cfm

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

OldGoat wrote: »
    This is the procedure I follow and it works well. When I become more experienced I'll try other packing methods but for now I don't see the need to faff about with a winning method. :)
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/packing.cfm

Thanks OldGoat! I had a goodly smoke there a couple of hours ago so ol' Betsy needs some downtime. Are there many pipe smokers around the forums?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Anseo!

I think the keeping it lit issue may be about tobacco moistness. I always find the first couple of weeks of a fresh tin need more work. But as long as you have a decent lighter it shouldn't be a problem.

Therein lies my problem I think. I only have a ream of sh**e disposables so I think I'll ask around in Peterson's and the DCE to see what they have. Plus I need cleaners.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ah yes. Welcome to the select League Of People Who Use Pipe Cleaners For Actually Cleaning Pipes.

Lighterwise, I use one of these:
    G55.jpg

Barry's on South King Street have them and may be a bit cheaper than the Grafton Street tobacconists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi Guys,

afraid I have only 38 yrs experience of the joys of a pipe, so I will throw in my tuppenceworth.

Tries fags once or twice, could not see the attraction.

Starting out find a tobacco which suits your taste and pipe. Straw like mixtures will need a relight every minute and drive you mad. A mid texture tobacco will give you a more pleasant smoke. Eventually you can graduate to a bulkier mix.

Remember you have to break in the pipe as well, the first few weeks can be troublesome so stick with it.

I love that post from Smokingpipes.com, I read it and it says at least 6 times, start all over again, no way, a method to suit you will come practise, practise, practise.

Welcome to the world of real smoking, but remember we are a dying breed.

Good Luck

I'm going to need to get myself a decent lighter I think. I was in Peterson's a day or two ago and the guy in there recommended Connoisseur's [sp?] Choice to me. I'm finding it to be ok-ish. It certainly smells amazing but it doesn't smoke all too well.

Advertisement