Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational Therapy

Options
  • 03-02-2011 5:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi everyone! Just wondering is there anybody on here currently studying OT? I'm looking for some info if possible. I'm fairly interested in a caring profession and working with people and as I am fairly squeamish I wouldn't really fancy any of the other healthcare professions! Basically I'm wondering is the course very difficult, what are hours/workload like? Are there good job oppurtunities in general? I've read up lots about the various settings you can work in and the people you may be working with but basically if I'm being completely honest I'm not exactly sure what an OT does bar help people with mental/physical disabilities. Anyone care to elaborate? Also I've read its generally a female dominated profession, would a guy be at a disadvantage? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dory353

Anybody??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i know a bunch of girls doing OT. from what i've heard from them they've a lot of placements, and a lot of their college work involves preparation - for presentations or planning their days on placement. don't know much else really!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

Dory353 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Just wondering is there anybody on here currently studying OT? I'm looking for some info if possible. I'm fairly interested in a caring profession and working with people and as I am fairly squeamish I wouldn't really fancy any of the other healthcare professions! Basically I'm wondering is the course very difficult, what are hours/workload like?
    Link to the 1st year timetable:
    http://timetable.ucc.ie:8010/reporting/individual?objectclass=programme+of+study&idtype=id&identifier=BSCOT1%0D%0A&t=programme+of+study+individual&days=1-7&weeks=5-16;20-31&periods=1-20&template=programme+of+study+individual

Looks like you have roughly 12-14 hours a week but you'll probably have labs or some practical time on top of that. I don't actually study it myself so I'm not too sure what the workload is like but the course coordinator is Kerry Murphy so I'd suggest emailing or calling her to find out more ph:+353(0)21490 1569
    e:kerry.murphy@ucc.ie
    Are there good job oppurtunities in general?

Well there's a moratorium on health care workers at the moment so I'd say they aren't great, probably be a bit better by the time you graduate though and if you're willing to travel there's always jobs for healthcare professionals abroad.
    I've read up lots about the various settings you can work in and the people you may be working with but basically if I'm being completely honest I'm not exactly sure what an OT does bar help people with mental/physical disabilities. Anyone care to elaborate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupational_therapy or email the course cooordinator and ask what areas people go into.

Also I've read its generally a female dominated profession, would a guy be at a disadvantage? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Yeah it's mainly female dominated but you wouldn't be at a disadvantage or an advantage. It's all about how much work you put into the course and how professional you are when dealing with people.

Advertisement