Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedals/Gears slipping when standing up?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for fixing this.

I've noticed recently that as I pull away from traffic lights and stand to start picking up speed quicker, the pedals/gears have started to slip down and my leg jilts downwards. It seems very dodgy so I have stopped standing when taking off from lights and am generally taking it much easier commuting.

It's def not oil as I read on another forum. Any ideas/particular parts of the bike that I should look at?

Thanks

Comments

It sounds like your chain and/or cassette are worn. Everything you need to know and more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev23f

This exact same thing happened to me late last year, right down to the pushing off from lights bit. It was the cassette that had gone, as JamesL85 has already pointed out above. The shop were surprised to see this part worn out in a relatively new bike, but there you have it.

Incidentally, a bike repair shop (in dundrum shopping centre) said it would take 1-2 weeks for the new part plus fix. I took it down the road to the shop in the village and had the bike back the following afternoon. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mattyhislop

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to get the chain / cassette checked out. Horrible feeling trying to get going again at lights and knowing this will prob happen if you stand up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to get the chain / cassette checked out. Horrible feeling trying to get going again at lights and knowing this will prob happen if you stand up!

This is the exact reason I decided to go for the Cycle to Work scheme. More than once as I pulled away from the lights the chain came off- not something you want to happen with a queue of cars behind you.

I had absolutely no confidence in the bike so went for something new as it wasn't economical to repair it. Best decision ever!

Old one was one of these (€99 new- I should have known):

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263366cffe1be6989002e48d7e778fa10f4fc.jpg

New bike:

Cube%20Acid%202011%20Grey.jpg

Advertisement