Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Import A3?

Options
  • 02-02-2011 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Any one have any experiences with Walsh Connolly Motors in Kilcolgan? I;m thinking of buying an import Audi A3 from them, advice would be appreciated before I part from the hard earned cash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Check it has a full service history and also run a hpi check with the UK reg details, if anything comes out suspect avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Ye defo do the Hpi check!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Is it something special? Why not buy an Irish model. There's good value to be had.... and more security.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As above, i'd also ring the garages who stamped the service book to confirm that the work was done as per the book. Anything less than a full, verified by you, service history and a full clean HPI and i'd walk. Make sure to give HPI all the details, people often leave out the V5 serial number and issue date.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The A3 is poor value imo. They are not cheap and most Irish spec ones are bog standard 1.6 litre petrol or the old 1.9 TDi models devoid of things like air con and alloy wheels.

UK A3s are better equipped but you still pay silly money for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

As was said, Irish ones tended to be bog standard to keep the price down, but UK ones will potentially have more equipment.

HPI check is a must. Bringing a car from the UK to Ireland is a great way to hide a dodgy history. A lot of people have been stung by accident damaged ex UK cars sold as clean in Ireland.

If you can't get the UK reg number, then the chassis number will do. If the dealer refuses to give you the UK reg number, then walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Is it something special? Why not buy an Irish model. There's good value to be had.... and more security.

It's higher spec and a better price. Not finding great value with the Irish models BUT I do know what you mean about the security. Thanks for the response.

Thanks for all your replies- really useful stuff. Much appreciated.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The A3 is poor value imo. They are not cheap and most Irish spec ones are bog standard 1.6 litre petrol or the old 1.9 TDi models devoid of things like air con and alloy wheels.

UK A3s are better equipped but you still pay silly money for what it is.

You are not the first person to say that I me but I've wanted one and been saving for one for an AGE. Haven't changed my car for 7 years. Out of interest what would you go for- max budget 17,000 want something 08 or newer for low tax, and diesel. I've heard dodge things about BMW and am sick to death of Toyota which I drive now, and which are great cars but just want a change... Don't like Golfs either. Picky woman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Personally if I had 17k to spend on a car I wouldn't blow it on an A3.

You could get something pretty nice for that kind of cash.

I wouldn't get too hung up about the 08 low tax issue. You will find that the 07s will be significantly cheaper and I have a sneaky feeling that the low CO2 tax rates will be clobbered with a big increase in a year or two.

How about:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1516856

or
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/GT/1.9-BLAC/201101200804670/advert?channel=CARS

or even

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1732343

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks, I wouldn't have even thought of the Volvo, the Civic or the Alfa Romeo, all very interesting..

Advertisement