Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Fish's right fin isnt working

Options
  • 02-02-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I had two blackmoor fish, one died and the other is barely alive(Bought them nearly 2 and half years ago). His right fin wont move so hes really struggling to swim, and is spending most of the day floating at the top of the tank. If i tap the side of the tank he swims down but ends up turning over several times. Hes been like this since Thursday, I changed the water and cleaned the tank. But hes still struggling to swim. What can I do to help him?? :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jippers87

Hmmm I'm afraid this doesn't sound good to me.

It could be caused by anything, possibly swim-bladder disease?

If it was my fish in the state you are discribing I think I would put him out of his misery :( IMO he won't recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

jippers87 wrote: »
    Hmmm I'm afraid this doesn't sound good to me.

It could be caused by anything, possibly swim-bladder disease?

If it was my fish in the state you are discribing I think I would put him out of his misery :( IMO he won't recover.

Its awful to watch him struggling! I obviously cant take him to a vets so what will be the best way to 'put him out of his misery'? Ill have to get my brother or another cold soul to do it coz I just couldnt!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jippers87

Vodkat wrote: »
    Its awful to watch him struggling! I obviously cant take him to a vets so what will be the best way to 'put him out of his misery'? Ill have to get my brother or another cold soul to do it coz I just couldnt!!!

I'm going to PM you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

i had one about 10 years ago with a problem like this - always swam on his side and pretty much stayed near the top. sometimes swam down further. this only happened after both of his eye thingies deflated. i was told this was due to something in the tank damaging them but it was so long ago - hadnt heard of putting fish to sleep or even seeing a fish vet. he lived an extra 2 years after it happened.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I had two blackmoor fish, one died and the other is barely alive(Bought them nearly 2 and half years ago). His right fin wont move so hes really struggling to swim, and is spending most of the day floating at the top of the tank. If i tap the side of the tank he swims down but ends up turning over several times. Hes been like this since Thursday, I changed the water and cleaned the tank. But hes still struggling to swim. What can I do to help him?? :confused::confused::confused:

There's a couple of things you can try.

What size is the tank? How often do you change the water?

What do you feed him and how often?

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    There's a couple of things you can try.

What size is the tank? How often do you change the water?

What do you feed him and how often?

Its about 80cm long and 40 wide.
    I change the water every 4-6 weeks.
    I feed him flaked goldfish food. Small amount every morning.

Okay, first of all, you need to be changing the water every week, and 25% of the water, not all.

Secondly, lay off the flakes for a bit, and try feed him some cooked frozen peas (not tinned), cool them and mush them up a little, if you need to hold them in front of him with a tweezers to help him get them.

Sounds like swimbladder and bad water quality.

Have a read of this to explain why water quality is important.

Have you any filter in the tank? Goldfish are incredibly messy fish and create a large bioload in a tank, so they need to be in a filtered tank.

Okay, first of all, you need to be changing the water every week, and 25% of the water, not all.

Secondly, lay off the flakes for a bit, and try feed him some cooked frozen peas (not tinned), cool them and mush them up a little, if you need to hold them in front of him with a tweezers to help him get them.

Sounds like swimbladder and bad water quality.

Have a read of this to explain why water quality is important.

Have you any filter in the tank? Goldfish are incredibly messy fish and create a large bioload in a tank, so they need to be in a filtered tank.

Oh I was told in the pet shop to leave a third of the old water in the tank and I was doing that.
    I dont have a filter... Going to pop into the pet shop tomorrow to get one. Will it make a difference? Can swimbladder be reversed?

Oh I was told in the pet shop to leave a third of the old water in the tank and I was doing that.
    I dont have a filter... Going to pop into the pet shop tomorrow to get one. Will it make a difference? Can swimbladder be reversed?

It can be fixed, but needs to be treated fairly quickly, I've seen a fish that had it for a week or more come through it fine. I suspect his fin may be clamped, and not a great sign however.

When you're in the pet shop, have a look for swimbladder medication. But try the peas as well. They're a laxative for fish.

If you can, try pick up a water test kit as well, to test for pH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. (don't get test strips, try get the liquids and test tubes)

It can be fixed, but needs to be treated fairly quickly, I've seen a fish that had it for a week or more come through it fine. I suspect his fin may be clamped, and not a great sign however.

When you're in the pet shop, have a look for swimbladder medication. But try the peas as well. They're a laxative for fish.

If you can, try pick up a water test kit as well, to test for pH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. (don't get test strips, try get the liquids and test tubes)

I will write that all down so I dont forget. Thanks for your suggestions. Ill let ya know how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

i think if u add a shot of brandy to their water it can sometimes help sick fish.....i think its brandy might be some other alcohol google it :P

padraig91 wrote: »
    i think if u add a shot of brandy to their water it can sometimes help sick fish.....i think its brandy might be some other alcohol google it :P

Help it how???

Help it how???

It will actually euthanise the fish, I wouldn't recommend it just yet.

Advertisement