Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insane difference in vet charges!

Options
  • 02-02-2011 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I have had the same vet for the past 10 years or so of owning animals. It is a great surgery with friendly staff, two good vets and is always clean and welcoming.

Recently, we got a second dog, a puppy. I took her to her breeders' vet to make sure all vaccines etc were up to date and boy did I get a shock!
    This vet (B) charged me just 12E for two worming tablets for the pup and one for my adult dog (who is 40kg and needs the big pill).
    At my vets (A) the big dogs tablet costs me almost 15E alone.

At vet A it costs me 33E for the consultation with whatever the vaccines etc cost ON TOP. One appointment could cost up to 50E but at vet B the consultation and the vaccine etc cost 30E.

I'll be honest, vet B isn't as presentable. It's an older building and probably isn't given the TLC vet A is given but should it make such a difference?

Have I been ripping myself off all these years?

What are your experiences? I'm in a town not too far from Galway but don't want to mention any business names! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am using several vets for my own and the rescue dogs I take in. It varies WIDELY what you pay..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jippers87

EGAR wrote: »
    I am using several vets for my own and the rescue dogs I take in. It varies WIDELY what you pay..

I think you aren't too far from me EGAR.

Maybe you could PM me who you find to be the best value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

it even varies in the same vets - a year ago we had consultation fees at our vets - about 40 euro. although tthey didnt always apply this to the bill especially if there were larger charges like a spay. but we took our two dogs back for their annual booster last week. it was about 32 euro each. i was shocked as id been expecting to have to pay close to 200 for it. pleasantly surprised that they call it a health check and vaccination booster fee instead now. i think perhaps vets are cottoning on that we havent as much money to spend and sadly, the pets vet stuff is low on the priority list for many. which is not good for their health or their till - so theyre making it easier for us. i really hope thats the case anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Vets differ hugely in my experience. my vet A who I was with for yonks as he had a good "reputation" never had a consult less then €100. any x rays were a general anaesthetic and an overnight stay!
    switched to vet B and Xrays were done and read on the spot...and shown to me on the computer....cost €40 including cartofen? injections. Vet B also has an ultrasound which he does on the spot for no extra charge.

like with everything i suppose shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

It can be difficult to try and shop around, especially if you have a really good vet who knows your pets, their illnesses, history and all their little foibles.

I am in that position and while my vet is incredibly good, he was a little bit pricy. I decided to talk to him about it as we're back and forth to the vets on a regular basis because there's always a hiccough with one of the tribe and it was costing us a small fortune.
    We came to an arrangement that wasn't going to rip us off and also for a payment plan whereby we didn't have to struggle to find large amounts up front when things went wrong. It's very reassuring to know that we don't have to worry about funds if something happens and it's costing us no more a month that the insurance would cost for all the cats considering their histories. Vaccinations and health checks are not considered 'consultations' so there are no hefty annual charges there either.

I really do recommend talking to your vet rather than just changing to another practice, especially if they're a good vet, because they will realise that we're all feeling the pinch and there's a good chance that they will work something out with you - especially if you're a long term customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Yes agree with Mary and my post did not really reflect that part. the main reason I changed was not for the money, but the money side shocked me. I had no idea I was paying such crazy prices.
    Why I changed was because the vets (even though they have a good reputation) made 3 big errors with my dogs costing me alot and causing undue suffering so that is why I now travel a distance to my new vet (who has a great reputation also but is farther from where I live)and the bonus being I now get to see any x rays and the ultrasounds and dont pay crazy money for it.

Advertisement