Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need production advice

Options
  • 02-02-2011 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

Hello, I am looking to buy a studio software and USB-audio interface. I have been checking out the various Thomann bundles and I wondering what people would recommend.

It would be for home demo use, recording nothing more than guitar/bass/vocals and the studio software should have a decent library of sounds for a midi controller.

I am guessing that Pro Tools would be overkill, what would be adequate for my needs?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Thanks, some useful stuff there. It seems like there was some good stuff about 1 1/2 to 3 years ago. I'm just curious to see if there have been any developments since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

If you've a Mac, you don't really need a USB interface, the built in audio is excellent. So a mic pre or two plus a jack to mini jack cable and you're sorted, assuming stereo in out is all you need. Some PCs have excellent built in audio too, but it varies a lot.

Reaper runs on the Mac now also, so if Garageband is too babyish you have a very cheap alternative to Logic.

Not sure about sample packs etc. Kontakt is super but not cheap, NI Massive is superb value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

I don't have a Mac, just an average laptop. But I only want something for home use. I don't need a professional sound, just something decent.

I have used Reason before, but I had to record live onto a four track and then add it as a sample through through the NN19 to mix it with drums, etc. Of course Reason is not built for this, but rather for electronic sounds, so the 'live' drum samples are a bit naff.

I would like a studio software that I can record straight on to and then add drums and play a midi controller for some keys or what have you. I have my eyes on Pro Tools and an M-Audio interface, but there was a wide selection of alternatives on Thomann, so I thought I would ask around before spending my cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

protools is currently a nightmare for software synths. it just hasnt got the power to run many at all.

if i was you i'd look at either reaper or cubase. both are very capable for what you need.

m-audio fastrack pro will do the i/o nicely for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement