Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carbon Tax - Effect on Motorists

Options
  • 02-02-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭

Was just watching Prime time and essentially all the parties were blurting about taxes etc,

Leo Vradkar was saying that labour will introduce an increase in carbon tax ( as will all other parties ) I assume this means that Motorists will be shafted again in tune with the circa 67% take they are thieving from our petrol.

So next time one of these chumps lands at your door ask them what their take is on the carbon, and how will this effect hard pressed motorists keeping this train going.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

He would say that...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well frankly as a motorist, i would like to see clearly what are the intentions here, because its getting less than funny now and they are essentially effecting the economy on a large scale with cost of transport leading on to increase in goods prices.

Zero foresight as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

These are worrying times for motorists and indeed, as the last poster pointed out, the populace in general.
    While certain (very hard to avoid costs) go up - such as taxation on fuels (which have a major knock on effect into the rest of the economy - remember, you cant tax your way out a a recession allegedly) incomes on all levels are going down fast.
    There will be a point in all this where people will have had enough. No matter what government gets in next time, they are shafted from the outset, which is why FF will be in again in 4-5 years, maybe sooner.
    Ive just bought a bike - going to commute into work, but I still need a car for practical purposes, same as the missus. It's gonna be a massive discussion point with canvassers let me tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Petrol and diesel have always been a soft target for the government.
    They must have thought all their Christmasses had come at once when the Carbon Tax was introduced. They now have complete and utter justification in raising taxes on fuel becase they can say it's good for the environment and use the "polluter pays" argument.
    Also, the IMF said that the Carbon Tax will have to be increased in the next couple of years as one of the conditions of the bailout.
    We're going to be screwed one way or another.
    It's very depressing.

P.S. I thought Varadkar said that FG were going to increase it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Heroditas wrote: »
    Petrol and diesel have always been a soft target for the government.
    They must have thought all their Christmasses had come at once when the Carbon Tax was introduced. They now have complete and utter justification in raising taxes on fuel becase they can say it's good for the environment and use the "polluter pays" argument.
    Also, the IMF said that the Carbon Tax will have to be increased in the next couple of years as one of the conditions of the bailout.
    We're going to be screwed one way or another.
    It's very depressing.

P.S. I thought Varadkar said that FG were going to increase it?

I am adamant that Varadkar said that labour were increasing it, but this was inline with the policies of other parties.

I was unaware that carbon tax was to be increased as part of the conditions of the 'finanicial stabilisation package' ;)

Do you have any links on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

listermint wrote: »
    I am adamant that Varadkar said that labour were increasing it, but this was inline with the policies of other parties.

I was unaware that carbon tax was to be increased as part of the conditions of the 'finanicial stabilisation package' ;)

Do you have any links on this?

I'll have a look and see if I can find it.
    I could be wrong but was sure they mentioned it at the time of the "deal"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

Get a Honda 50cc:) 10 quids worth of fuel will do you a week! As fuel prices are only going one way, UP!

If need a car to commute to work, move closer to work!:D

FF Brains Lierhan was the one who was advocating Excise Duties rise in the next Budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

billyboy01 wrote: »
    Get a Honda 50cc:) 10 quids worth of fuel will do you a week! As fuel prices are only going one way, UP!

If need a car to commute to work, move closer to work!:D

FF Brains Lierhan was the one who was advocating Excise Duties rise in the next Budget!

Its not just for commuting to work.
    I'd like to see you sit your 6 month old on the Honda 50 to drop them off at the creche in weather like this - or perhaps like to see you take your weekly shop for a family of 4 home from the shop in a honda 50 - actually, I'd like to see you get around on a honda 50 in weather like this.

Theres the real world and then theres the world where everyone has access to public transport and dont require to transport anything more than one carrier bag.

Advertisement