Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yaris Oil

Options
  • 02-02-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Doing an oil change on a 05 Yaris petrol 1lt old type. Should I use semi or fully synthetic oil .
    TIA
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

10w40 Semi will do just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep. Lidl doing nice stuff at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

5w30 is recomnended oil.

10w30 or 40 no harm if theres a bit of mileage on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Thanks for all the advice lads .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

5w30 is recomnended oil.

It was, but it was revised to 10w40 for moderate climate countries.

Autodata still lists 5w30 but if look under alternative oil 10w40 is there

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yep. Lidl doing nice stuff at the moment

that stuff is crap get some decent oil its not worth f****** up you engine don't be penny wise and pound foolish. oil is the cheapest mechanic

What's wrong with it exactly?

What's wrong with it exactly?

Its just low grade most modern engine manufactures specify exact oils to be used in their engines and using the wrong oil can cause problems such as accelerated engine ware and premature failure of various components all of which is expensive so cheaper in the long run to use the correct spec good quality oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

+ on the expensive oil! massive differences between the same grand budget and premium brand oils!

not being snotty, i like a bargain, but oil is the lifeblood of an engine.

• Advertisement

Totals agree the tolerances in modern engines are a lot closer than older engines and as a result lubricants have to perform a lot better to avoid doing damage

You are familiar with the specs on the oil lidl are selling I presume.

If you were servicing an 05 yaris, what would you use, realistically?

honestly, if toyota say 5w30, then i'd go with that. but it doesn't stop at 5w30, there are many variations of the one 'grade' of oil (eg how you can see 'ford spec', 'VAG spec' 5w30 etc)

particularly in cars with variable valve timing, getting the right oil is crucial or it could prove terminal for the engine.

im running my 01 vitz on 5w30 and have done so for a good long time, never had any problems.

i have noticed though previously in my 01 corolla, switching from motor factors own brand oil to castrol edge, the castrol did not burn off at all whereas the motor factors stuff had a tendency to burn away when it was nearing a change. the castrol also held that healty 'treacle', orange/clear colour right up until i changed it, whereas the cheap stuff turned black after the first 2500 miles or so. says a lot about the tolerances of the cheaper stuff.

You are familiar with the specs on the oil lidl are selling I presume.

If you were servicing an 05 yaris, what would you use, realistically?

I personally use gulf formula xle 5w30 synthetic its BMW and Daimler Chrysler approved , but any branded synthetic 5w30 will suffice,

Far as I know lidl oil is made by AC Delco and meets requirements for a lot of manufacturers (think they supply gm)

To say that it would ruin an engine may be taking it a bit far. I understand that proper synthetic oil is expensive but most big brand stuff isn't.

I don't have issue with your choice of oil, nor do I doubt your experience. I just think a blanket statement that its crap no matter who makes it or what standards it meets isn't telling the whole story.

Far as I know lidl oil is made by AC Delco

interesting :pac:

well the wrong oil is well known to play havoc with certain parts, like i said, vvt systems, turbo's etc. maybe not kill an engine, but vertainly cause expensive damage.

moral of the story i suppose is read and research the specs before buying :)

andyseadog wrote: »
    interesting :pac:

well the wrong oil is well known to play havoc with certain parts, like i said, vvt systems, turbo's etc. maybe not kill an engine, but vertainly cause expensive damage.

moral of the story i suppose is read and research the specs before buying :)

A guy brought in a skoda superb to us last year complaining it was using a lot of oil and was smoky, we investigated the problem and found the engine had excessive blow back,diagnosis possible ring failure. We informed the customer and he gave us the go ahead to strip the engine and repair when we did we found siezed rings and excessive wear to the cylinder bores and bearings. We inquired with the customer as to the service history of the car to which he told us he serviced it himself every time it was due since it was new. When asked what oil he used his reply was the same stuff I use in the tractor ie agri spec 10w40 not suitable for a car engine. Now hears the sting in the tail this car had only covered 110000 kilometres or around 68000 miles and was only 4 years old. I have seen these engines 4 or 5 times that mileage running fine but they were serviced correctly with the correct oil. Moral of the story wrong oil can kill your engine or at least shorten its life considerably.

taintabird wrote: »
    A guy brought in a skoda superb to us last year complaining it was using a lot of oil and was smoky, we investigated the problem and found the engine had excessive blow back,diagnosis possible ring failure. We informed the customer and he gave us the go ahead to strip the engine and repair when we did we found siezed rings and excessive wear to the cylinder bores and bearings. We inquired with the customer as to the service history of the car to which he told us he serviced it himself every time it was due since it was new. When asked what oil he used his reply was the same stuff I use in the tractor ie agri spec 10w40 not suitable for a car engine. Now hears the sting in the tail this car had only covered 110000 kilometres or around 68000 miles and was only 4 years old. I have seen these engines 4 or 5 times that mileage running fine but they were serviced correctly with the correct oil. Moral of the story wrong oil can kill your engine or at least shorten its life considerably.

a shot in the dark here, but...
    was said gentleman wearing corduroy trousers, black shoes covered in muck and a wax jacket, have lots of protruding nasal and ear hair, and you could literally smell the money off him?

typical farmer move with new cars, penny wise, pound foolish, seen this in work a few times myself with members of a farming disposition.

one chap bought a second hand diesel avensis from ourselves and 9 months later he brought it back complaining of a rattle from the front.

it needed new drop links and wishbone bushes, and he was raging when we said we wouldnt be replacing them under his warranty because he admitted to constantly driving it through freshly ploughed fields!

*awaits angry farmer replys* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

None of the above points have anything to do with using Lidl oil that meets the requisite standards.

Same stuff people blow out when talking about Halfords oil. Bla bla bla. Once it meets the manufacturers spec then it's fine.

gpf101 wrote: »
    None of the above points have anything to do with using Lidl oil that meets the requisite standards.

Same stuff people blow out when talking about Halfords oil. Bla bla bla. Once it meets the manufacturers spec then it's fine.

Do some research on genuine fully synthetic and hydrocracked fully synthetics ;) On a decent petrol engine I would happily pay the extra for Mobil 1. Meeting the manufacturers spec and putting in the best you can are not the same thing. It's like cheap meat and decent meat.

• Advertisement

andyseadog wrote: »
    a shot in the dark here, but...
    was said gentleman wearing corduroy trousers, black shoes covered in muck and a wax jacket, have lots of protruding nasal and ear hair, and you could literally smell the money off him?

typical farmer move with new cars, penny wise, pound foolish, seen this in work a few times myself with members of a farming disposition.

one chap bought a second hand diesel avensis from ourselves and 9 months later he brought it back complaining of a rattle from the front.

it needed new drop links and wishbone bushes, and he was raging when we said we wouldnt be replacing them under his warranty because he admitted to constantly driving it through freshly ploughed fields!

*awaits angry farmer replys* :pac:

smell money off him my a**e we waited nearly 6 months get paid can quite happily do without that sort of customer, we replaced his with a low mileage second hand unit which he promptly took the sump off 6 months later a whole two weeks after he paid us for the job in the first place and seized the engine he replaced the sump himself but didn't realise the pick up pipe was damaged and like your story he wanted warranty. Before any one says how did I know he damaged the sump he turned up looking for the sump off his old engine and told me what had happened I advised him at the time to check than nothing else was damaged to which he replied it will be grand.Typical of the species I think, if you doubt what I say I still have the old engine out back.

equally awaiting angry farmer replys

RoverJames wrote: »
    Do some research on genuine fully synthetic and hydrocracked fully synthetics ;) On a decent petrol engine I would happily pay the extra for Mobil 1. Meeting the manufacturers spec and putting in the best you can are not the same thing. It's like cheap meat and decent meat.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for theres no substitute for quality

so to sum up.

an 05 yaris needs proper synthetic oil just to be safe.

hydrocracked synthetics are ok as long as its a big brand.

the quality of the oil is proportionare to the cost.

acea standards and meeting manufacturer standards is irrelevant, they're probably lying on the bottle

the fact that all our cars have been running perfectly on lidl and halfords oils [ac delco and comma] for years is probably just luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That's about the size of it...

hydrocracked synthetics are ok as long as its a big brand.

Just in case that was directed at me :) Mobil 1 isn't hydrocracked. I never said hydrocracked synthetics are ok. Also I have used Halfords own brand oil in loads of cars, some mine, some not. Anyone buying fully synthetic labelled oil in Lidl who reckons it is as good as Mobil 1 is fooling themselves.

The last time there was a thread on Lidl oil some googling returned that their fully synthetic oil was Grade 2, Mobil 1 being a Grade 4.

Also no one said the Yaris needs proper synthetic oil, it was advised to use 5w30 as per the manufacturers recommendation, which makes complete sense considering the valve timing mechanism :)

i know!

its just theres a lot of exaduration on this thread, about whats required of an oil on a run of the mill car, what makes a good oil, and what happens if you don't spend a fortune on 'good' oil.

i think changing the oil regularly will prolong the life of the engine rather than putting all your faith in a brand.

like-for like of course, used mobil1 on my ftos as i actually needed to.

i know!

its just theres a lot of exaduration on this thread, about whats required of an oil on a run of the mill car, what makes a good oil, and what happens if you don't spend a fortune on 'good' oil.

i think changing the oil regularly will prolong the life of the engine rather than putting all your faith in a brand.

like-for like of course, used mobil1 on my ftos as i actually needed to.

You are missing the point its nothing to do with brand its to do with quality and specification and the correct spec for the car in question

You are missing the point its nothing to do with brand its to do with quality and specification and the correct spec for the car in question

In fairness a point was made that Lidl branded oil is crap :pac:

that stuff is crap get some decent oil its not worth f****** up you engine don't be penny wise and pound foolish. oil is the cheapest mechanic

and I still stand by that statement !!

• Advertisement

What about halfords oil?

Advertisement