Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penetrating oil - where to buy?

Options
  • 02-02-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭

anywhere around the city centre I can get penetrating oil (google suggests Liquid Wrench and Kroil are the best but they seem to be US brands)?

no pics of KY jelly etc please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

i usually use WD40... does the job most of the time for me... and u can get it anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

WD40 is not a lubricant, it's a moisture displacement agent.

A thin synthetic engine oil would likely do the trick, something like a 0W-40 grade. Just straight it might work but mix some with some lighter fluid and you would have something that would really penetrate and provide lubrication. Kerosene would work as a thinner also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

WD40 will do the trick.....it is, of course, a lubricant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

cnocbui wrote: »
    WD40 is not a lubricant, it's a moisture displacement agent.

WD40..... water displacement receipe no 40 originally I believe. It is a moisture displacement agent but it is officially recognised as a penetrating oil too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The one caveat I would like to share is that WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. Please note that nowhere on the cans bottles and literature does it say lubricate. Although there is an amount of "slipperiness", this is a rapidly evaporating carrier. The primary function of WD-40 is a solvent and rust dissolver. It "lubricates" by breaking stuck bonds, not by making something less "frictionable" for any length of time. Silicone, Teflon and Lithium are better, more longer lasting choices for true lubrication.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/qa/qawd40.html
    Newsgroups: sci.chem
    Subject: Re: WD 40 Ingredients
    Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997
    I've analysed a similar product, and it was around 80%
    kerosine, 10% acidless tallow oil, and 10% lubricating
    oil light base gade - with some additional antioxidants
    added to improve durability. When the composition of
    WD-40 last came up in sci.chem, I wasn't sure if it was a
    water displacing solvent only, but subsequently there
    has been a long discussion about the film left behind in
    some rec.* groups - which is why it should not be used as
    a lubricant, the film is only a temporary corrosion protective
    layer.

That would make WD-40 like the formulation above.
    The kerosine is the solvent, the tallow oil and lubricating
    base grade provide the means for the fluid to displace
    water from surfaces and, when the kerosine has evaporated,
    leave a thin, protective film on the surface that provides
    temporary corrision protection. It is possible that it may
    have some solid lubricant in it ( PTFE,Graphite,MoS2 ),
    but I suspect there would not be enough to provide any
    useful lubrication - and thus should not be used to wash
    "proper lubricants" off bearing surfaces, chains etc..
    http://yarchive.net/chem/wd40.html
    WD-40 Is Not A Lubricant

Posted in advice, locksmithing on March 22nd, 2009 by The Locksmith – Be the first to comment Hands up all those who remember when the full name of WD-40 was Rocket WD-40.
    WD-40 is a water-displacement spray. It was the 40th attempt at a formulation to displace water from rockets awaiting launch, and thus prevent pools of standing water and hinder corrosion. It was developed in 1953 by Norm Larsen for the San Diego Rocket Company.
    It’s primary constituent is a heavy, sticky, viscous oil. To help WD-40 get to where it’s needed this oil is diluted with lighter hydrocarbons which quickly evapourate.
    The point is that WD-40 is excellent for displacing water and keeping it displaced and it’s excellent at penetrating. What it’s not good at is lubricating.
    If you have a lock that not working smoothly, do not use WD-40. You are effectively squirting glue in there. And you are washing away any grease that the manufacturer put in there (although well-designed and well-made locks, like Chubbs, for example, don’t need lubricant.) Use a silicone spray or a teflon (PTFE) spray, or better still some graphite. If you can’t find graphite but you can find a soft (2B, 3B) pencil, scrape some graphite off that. Graphite is slippery because its carbon atoms are in flat sheets that slide over each other. And it will remain slippery forever for all practical purposes.

http://www.clapham-locksmiths.co.uk/blog/tag/lubricant/

Go ahead, use it, but if you want a spray lubricant that penetrates, get a €1 can of the spray silicone oil Lidl sell at regular intervals, that stuff is about 100 times better than WD40 and a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You seem to have started the argument about it being a lubricant with yourself. There is a different between a full on lubricant and a penetrating oil. The OP wanted a penetrating oil. WD40 is recommended for this purpose and is pretty effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Boots may be able to sort you out.

>>>

<<<

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

WD40 will do the job as a penetrant, but depending on the application, Im sure there is a better choice. WD40 is excellent at making rusted parts move. Its not a lube though.

To join in on the off topic part, It never ceases to amaze me when you tell people to use oil on their chains, their replys are, ah sure why would I pay e6 for PTFE oil when I have WD40 at home?
    Id love to correct them but they are for the most part know it alls and wouldnt understand the term co efficient of friction.

Personally I use GT85 for freeing up parts and lubing hinges, cables etc

kona wrote: »
    Personally I use GT85 for freeing up parts and lubing hinges, cables etc

Nice smell off that stuff too :pac:

RoverJames wrote: »
    Nice smell off that stuff too :pac:

sure is! leaves a nice shine on metal too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Anything I'd need penetrating oil for, WD40 will do.
    For real heavy duty stuff I sure Loctite (or wurth) do something.
    There was someone on here before praising something called black magic, but I ain't going googling black magic penetration...
    Lubricant versus non-lubricant depends on what you need from a lubricant...

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

most motor factors will stock penetrating oil, as well as halfords have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Novatio PTFE is savage, Innovation Ireland sell it, but it's never failed me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'm surprised nobody bothered to look up the WD40 website to find out what it is or isn't.
    It should be good enough for most jobs unless the OP has a particular requirement.
    What does WD-40 do?
    WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:
    1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material.
    2. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
    3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
    4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
    5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Good thinking Jim. Its great stuff I love the new can where the straw folds down the side of the can..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

aldi and lidel good price works for me

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody bothered to look up the WD40 website to find out what it is or isn't.
    It should be good enough for most jobs unless the OP has a particular requirement.

Its good for a few very select jobs, where the area would be sealed from water.

Spit is a lube to a certain extent, still wouldnt use it. WD isnt a lube, no matter what they say, Ive tried it , its a terrible lube. Its a Excellent penetrant though, but the lack of PTFE is a big minus.

There are better products, some cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Halfords has one for bikes that's pretty good.
    Or get W5 silicone spray in Lidl or Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

kona wrote: »
    Its good for a few very select jobs, where the area would be sealed from water.

Spit is a lube to a certain extent, still wouldnt use it. WD isnt a lube, no matter what they say, Ive tried it , its a terrible lube. Its a Excellent penetrant though, but the lack of PTFE is a big minus.

There are better products, some cheaper.
    Indeed, and I personally wouldn't use it as lubricant either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

thanks for all the suggestions folks - re WD40, I have some, I tried it and it didn't work.

If you google "penetrating oil" you'll find a number of references to a comparison test done in the US where WD-40 performed very poorly against dedicated penetrating oils, such as the 2 mentioned in my OP. I'll have a look for the Novatio stuff recommended by PaintDoctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

where i work we use WD-40 for loosening rusty bolts and use GT-85 if we want a layer of lubricant left on it ;)

Advertisement