Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Rolls in Wee!!

Options
  • 02-02-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a 15.1hh, bay, connemara x he's rising 5 now and for as long as I have had him (a year and a half) he has also rolled in his wee.
    He is kept on a rubber matted stable with 1/2 to 1 inch of shavings and literally every morning his neck and head are soaking. It drys rock solid with bits of mud and shavings stuck in it too (jst lovely) and oh my god does he stink!
    The stable in the morning is dry and he is a very clean horse, only goes for a poo in the corner (nice neat pile) so I dont get why he with out fail is covered in urine in the morning!
    The only way to get it off is to wash him, but he still stinks!
    Does anyone else have this problem or have had? Or know of any products to get the smell away!!
    Thanks in advance!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Never heard of that before, :rolleyes: maybe he'd be better off living outdoors, if that's possible, he'd be less smelly for sure......................:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

A lot of horses will urinate in the middle of the stable, so then when they lie down they'll lie down in it. It happened with my brother's grey (i.e. very white) Connemara pony a few years ago - she'd literally be filthy from her ears to her hocks, regardless of whether or not she was rugged, got a deep fresh bed or had straw a few days' old. If we weren't going anywhere we'd just brush her, but we'd have to wash her each morning we were planning on bringing her somewhere. Unless you're willing to try horse shampoo, I'd just embrace the 'horsey' smell! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Ugh, I ride this lovely light dapple grey mare who has this problem, only she likes the faeces to roll in as well. The stains are a nightmare! We'd wash her, but she doesn't like it and it's too much hassle.

The only way to get rid of them is brushing and brushing. If we are taking her anywhere, we'd put on a light rug the night before and muck her out before we finish up for the evening.

It's not too bad during winter when she's clipped and has a rug on in the stable, but summer is just annoying...

Advertisement