Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female in heat and male puppy

Options
  • 02-02-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi All,

My male puppy is coming up to 5 months and it look like his balls are about to drop (is that what you call it, sorry haha), my 2 year old girl is in heat at the moment and i'm afraid to leave them together incase he's able to impregnate her. Would this be possible once he's "working" down there?
    Planning on getting him done when he's 6 months (as per vets recommendation) but just happens our girls in heat at the moment so have to be careful.

Also thinking of getting her done as well as the puppy just an inconvience to have to watch her for the few weeks she's in heat, she's 2 now so i'm wondering is it a big job for an older dog?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, definitely should be watching him. There's no golden "safe time" where you can be sure that he's infertile.

There are no complications in spaying a 2 year old bitch, she's still only young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Once he has "bits" they can be removed depending on the breed of dog that can be from 5-6 months but even when he is done he is not safe around a bitch in heat for approx 3-4 weeks after that.

I would definately keep them seperate at ALL times just in case!

I would get him neutered asap and she can be done 6 weeks after her heat. No issues with getting her neutered and it will be healthier for her in the long run. Loads of information online.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Thanks guys, yes keeping them separate so...fun few weeks ahead.
    Oh that's good to hear it's ok to get her done too, wasn't sure if it was a big job and just don't want her too traumatised, she's hates the vet's as it is.
    He on the other hand is no bother and will defo be getting the snip in another 4 weeks or so.
    Thanks

Advertisement