Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Root your phone mean?

Options
  • 02-02-2011 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

I am new to Android, being looking at this forum for a while and see lots of comments about rooting?
    I just got a HTC Desire HD - should I root it? if so is it easy?

It is with 3 and I need to get it unlocked as going away in a couple of months and want to put local sim in it while away so not charged roaming- do I need to bring it to a shop to get this done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Have a quick read of this

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I am new to Android, being looking at this forum for a while and see lots of comments about rooting?

It is with 3 and I need to get it unlocked as going away in a couple of months and want to put local sim in it while away so not charged roaming- do I need to bring it to a shop to get this done?

I'm new to Android too, got one last week and after a few hours googling here and there figured out how to root it and unlock it, take your time reading up on it and it's not too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Well son, when a man and a phone love each other...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Rooting and unlocking are not the same thing by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Rooting only takes a minute. Just visionary and that's it. Definitely works with desire hd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

seanybiker wrote: »
    Rooting only takes a minute. Just visionary and that's it. Definitely works with desire hd

Ok next question how do I do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Acidjoker

Rooting means to gain "root" or administrator access to the phone, it is really only useful if you plain to install a custom "ROM" which again is only necessary if you are unhappy with any aspect of the phone, or want to run a different version of Android not supported native by the phone manufacture.

A good place to gain information is :
    http://www.xda-developers.com/

Acidjoker wrote: »
    Rooting means to gain "root" or administrator access to the phone, it is really only useful if you plain to install a custom "ROM" which again is only necessary if you are unhappy with any aspect of the phone, or want to run a different version of Android not supported native by the phone manufacture.

Great tks for that prob a bit advanced for me then- I will leave it till I get better.

WHat is the easiest way to get my phone unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I rooted my phone a few days ago. You need some technical know how to do it.
    See here for info on what I had to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

use z4root :) its the easiest way possible. If you google it, it should come up on XDA Developers. Just install and click root :)

If you would real the charter would make things simpler for you ;) save me copy paste too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Acidjoker wrote: »

rooting has little to do with changing ROMs

it gives you admin priviledges

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah the /system partition can be write-protected even against admin/root user. This is how motorola prevent custom roms, you can root their phones but not modify the system.

Looking at this site to get phone unlocked- anyone used it - does it work/is it safe?

http://www.mobileunlockingcodes.com/?gclid=CM6m9JDD7KYCFQGDDgodTDXI_w

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

there was someone had a site but i would think you should say your phone type and network. others will have experience and tell u straight off what site to use ;)
    there are quite a few scam sites, so be warned

it is a HTC Desire HD with Three

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Any updates on currently recommended how-to's for rooting?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

it is a HTC Desire HD with Three

how is that going? any signal problems with 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Cianos wrote: »
    Any updates on currently recommended how-to's for rooting?

Thanks

It depends what phone you have. Go to xda-developers, find correct forum for your device, follow instructions.

Advertisement