Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

end of the road

Options
  • 02-02-2011 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

may have to put my old horse to sleep :(
    what the best thing to do with the remains..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Can't answer your question but just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear that.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Sorry to hear that! :(

As for the remains, they have to be taken away by law. The stable I work in had to put down a horse due to cancer a few weeks ago. She was 16 years old and the owner had her 14 of those, so understandably, she wanted to bury her but the vet told us that isn't allowed any more so we had to get her collected:(

It isn't the most pleasant way to send them off, but that's the law for you... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Hi, We had to put a jinnet down a few months ago. Be prepared for the price!
    If you use a human killer it's cheaper because the kennels can take the remains, if you get your horse put to sleep it'll cost more as the body has to be cremated.
    It cost us 170 euros when we BROUGHT her to the knackery!!!!!! So collection will cost more. And they told us that it depends on the size of the animal. Although you could try to haggle with them. This was in kildare so maybe other areas are more reasonable.
    I heard afterwards that the best thing to do is to deal directly with the kennels if you have used the human killer. And then of course you have the vets fees.
    I know it bad enough to have to lose your horse without being slapped with a hefty bill. Sorry.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am very sorry for your trouble :(.

I had to have a horse pts last year and the removal cost 60 Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Hi, great thanks for all that, just wanted a rough idea..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's so hard, isn't it. I had my chap put down in the yard,had no choice, as he shattered a hind leg. Even if it could have been done, I couldn't have sent him to the factory. We got a vet to the yard-I left, then the lads in the yard sorted him for me, couldn't have faced the dead body. Pm-ed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

local hunt kennels should sort you out.

Advertisement