Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stove - boiler or non-boiler

Options
  • 02-02-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

hi,

im planning to put a stove in my kitchen in place of the open fire. trying to decide wether
    to put in a boiler or non-boiler.

i have the pipe work in for the boiler to heat my water tank only.
    this will require about 3 kw or so. therefore i dint need a very large boiler, but i also want to be able to feel the heat in to the room as im not gonna feel like coming home and lighting it just to heat the water.
    but all the stoves available seem to distribute the heat 65%/35% in favour of the water.
    so now im starting to think ill just go for the non-boiler model and enjoy the heat to the room.

any advice would be most helpful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Katz83

Hi i am just wondering did you go for the back boiler option or without it. We are in the same delima. Our room is 9m by 5m and i dont know should just put in a stove to heat the room as i am afraid they will be a big loss in heat to the room if i go with back boiler . you might let me know what you decided and was it the right decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭sully123

hi,

thanks for commenting. id kind of given up on this post.
    i still haven't gone ahead and bought the stove yet as i really couldn't get much helpful advice on this dilemma we share.
    thats a big room alright. were you thinking of heating the rads or just your hot water cylinder.
    im really leaning toward the non-boiler. i figure if most of the heat is heading to the water i wont feel like lighting it as often as i otherwise would. plus the non-boiler models are always cheaper.

i did talk to the people at keily stoves, cork on the phone, so you might try them for some advice. thay have a good website too.

ill be interested to hear how you get on and will keep you up on what im doing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Katz83

sully123 wrote: »
    hi,

thanks for commenting. id kind of given up on this post.
    i still haven't gone ahead and bought the stove yet as i really couldn't get much helpful advice on this dilemma we share.
    thats a big room alright. were you thinking of heating the rads or just your hot water cylinder.
    im really leaning toward the non-boiler. i figure if most of the heat is heading to the water i wont feel like lighting it as often as i otherwise would. plus the non-boiler models are always cheaper.

i did talk to the people at keily stoves, cork on the phone, so you might try them for some advice. thay have a good website too.

ill be interested to hear how you get on and will keep you up on what im doing too.

Hi,

well we visited a place last night and he said because of the size of the room we have and if we wanted to give heat to room water and rads we were looking at a stove with 20 btus i think that the right phrase anyways. He said that you would have to pump it with alot more fuel as the heat goes to water and rads before it goes to the room and you would be drawing fuel to it all the time, He showed us the size of the stove and it was huge. We have also talked to a plumber and he said apart from the extra cost of going with back boiler stove it also cost about a 1000 in extra bits plus what the plumber will charge to put it in for you. i think we will not put one in to be honest. We will just go for an ordinary stove but like yourself not 100% sure yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mikerice

mike here from kerry ,just joined this forum and think i can give some valuable advice as i work as plumber and have installed numerous boiler and non boiler stoves ,or as plumbers call then; wet stoves or dry stoves ;there is a free heat loss calculation site on line called -heatlosscalculator.co.uk . i use it all the time if im near a computer or if im feeling too lazy to use a mears calculator .hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mikerice

the modern unit for heat loss is kw/h which means kilowatt per hour . the btu is an imperial measurement but is still used by some plumbers .most modern boilers an stoves are listed in kilowatts /hour .hope this helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement