Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

About to purchase a commerical ... advice appreciated

Options
  • 02-02-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

I am looking to purchase a commercial Land Rover Disco.

I have came across this for sale which I think looks like good value considering the milage etc.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/1766084

I would appreciate if anyone had any comments on things to look out for when purchasing one of these etc.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    I am looking to purchase a commercial Land Rover Disco.

I have came across this for sale which I think looks like good value considering the milage etc.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/1766084

I would appreciate if anyone had any comments on things to look out for when purchasing one of these etc.

Thanks

Ad says it's economical, but you'll do well to get much better than 25mpg with one.
    I know of a '07 Mitsu Pajero Sport Commercial, 160k km, for less than €10k, if you're interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

price is a too much, but milage is good for the year... if you like it, go check it out, check the condition

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

I dont know about Discoverys but the Range Rovers had a great appetite for front bushings etc.
    With those big wheels on it,it may be susceptible to a similar problem.
    As for economical,I suppose thats relative.
    I have a Landcruiser and the Mpg is about 25-27 mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Thanks for all the advice so far, any other comments are greatly apprecitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It's a Discovery 3, a couple of owners on the 4x4 forum who are happy with them. For more advice with what to look for, go here - http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/

You'll have to get rid of those stupid 22" rims to a drug dealing Range Rover Sport owner, they will give an appalling ride and the rubber will be expensive. The colour will be great for showing cow sh!te if you live in the sticks.

I'd check it's provenance carefully, it's unusual for a commercial to be that fully loaded although it does seem to have been a bit of a company advert (bought before the Celtic Tiger was shot! :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

101sean wrote: »
    It's a Discovery 3, a couple of owners on the 4x4 forum who are happy with them. For more advice with what to look for, go here - http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/

You'll have to get rid of those stupid 22" rims to a drug dealing Range Rover Sport owner, they will give an appalling ride and the rubber will be expensive. The colour will be great for showing cow sh!te if you live in the sticks.

I'd check it's provenance carefully, it's unusual for a commercial to be that fully loaded although it does seem to have been a bit of a company advert (bought before the Celtic Tiger was shot! :rolleyes:)

Yes the rims are a bit much and I will be removing the chrome around headlights.

Colour is actually a plus as i am involved in the distribution of dental products.

Thanks

A buddy has an 07 one from new, I think he's on his 3rd fuel pump at this stage, both done under warranty in fairness but not much fun if it happens again. As with some modern diesels he was alerted to the problem with poor running and warning lights, swarf on sensors sort of carry on. He just had a major service done including timing belt and some bushings (don't know the detail really of which ones), about a grand from a main dealer which isn't too bad at all considering. I believe his intention is to keep it for another year or two at least.

He had a manual Pajero 2006 before it which he got rid of after a year due to the dual mass flywheel, failing, being replaced under warranty and him reckoning it was on the way out again. Garage maintained he was pulling too much stuff with it, he's a landscaper and reckons the stuff he was pulling was well below the maximum that he was meant to and he rarely used it off road as he used to drive all the landscaping stuff onto the low loader trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Do you own a registered company to avail of the cheaper road tax (commercial vehicle),if not does the company you work for do and will they own the vehicle.
    If not its a big deal to get commercial recognition.

moonshadow wrote: »
    Do you own a registered company to avail of the cheaper road tax (commercial vehicle),if not does the company you work for do and will they own the vehicle.
    If not its a big deal to get commercial recognition.

Yes I own a registered company. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Jack C

Colour is actually a plus as i am involved in the distribution of dental products.
    Yeah, nothing like a 4X4 for those dental products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Dont like the look of that in white with big alloys. Look ok in black though. If its just for work deliveries buy a Transit or Hiace and keep the change to buy a proper car for the weekend

Jack C wrote: »
    Yeah, nothing like a 4X4 for those dental products.

I would easily fill the boot with the stock I carry.

Would anyone have an idea of what to initially offer the guy and what would be an acceptable purchase price?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

As a land rover owner and i also know several people who have disco 3's i would not recomend a land rover due to reliability issues.
    Some seem to be ok ....other are utter sacks of P.iss
    Be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

ya thats a bit pricey but it is high spec and low to average miles for a 4 year old jeep. The wheels have to go, you can get a set cheap enough to replace them

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/carextras/1860908

Advertisement