Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin-based musician, open to ideas

Options
  • 02-02-2011 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am essentially dipping my toes in the water with this post, so forgive me if I am vague. I am looking to start playing music again, after a three year break.

I have played in three bands, the first was straight-
    up indie rock, then I played in an experimental
    rock band (both **** e) and lastly a funk /rock
    covers band (great band , but soul destroying) . I
    mainly played rhythm guitar ( competent , but
    nothing special ) , and a small bit of bass and keys. I also did lead vocals, which I am pretty good at once I
    get regular practice in.

However , that was three years ago and I have not
    played anything until a month ago, so as you can
    imagine I am a bit rusty on guitar, although I am tidying that up and am looking at taking lessons in jazz guitar.

Anyway, I have written lyrics and vocal melodies when called upon in addition to the various compositions I have written, and have started doing so again a couple of times this past month, and its something I have improved at, over the years. I have written fairly versatile stuff, using odd time signatures and looking for new chords. I like to experiment but I try to make the song listenable, rather than getting lost in a haze.

I like The Beatles , Grizzly Bear , Interpol , Midlake, Neil Young, Fleet Foxes, Radiohead, Stevie Wonder and tonnes of other stuff.

So, what am I looking for? Well, i am 30 years old, so my fantasies of 'making it' were buried some years ago. I definitely do not want to be in a covers band, as that requires huge commitment for little reward, imo. I would rather be in a band that works hard at writing their own stuff and gigs when it suits them, with no pressure on trying to be the next big thing. Even if I worked with one person writing would be a start. I'm open to offers and Dublin based.

Thanks. :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

i am 30 years old, so my fantasies of 'making it' were buried some years ago.

Geeze... have you picked out your coffin yet? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Not quite, I reckon the recession will drive prices down a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I definitely do not want to be in a covers band

In that case, why did you waste my time PM'ing me with enquiries about this thread by me ? :confused:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056142180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Rigsby wrote: »
    In that case, why did you waste my time PM'ing me with enquiries about this thread by me ? :confused:

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056142180

I pm'ed, but after some thought I decided against it. I started having memories of my last experience in a covers band, and I really didn't want to repeat that experience. Sorry if I have offended you somehow. Music is serious business, I know.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I pm'ed, but after some thought I decided against it. I started having memories of my last experience in a covers band, and I really didn't want to repeat that experience. Sorry if I have offended you somehow. Music is serious business, I know.

:-)

I'm not offended.
    I just wish that people would do their contemplating on such basic things, before making enquiries. Saves time for us all.

Best of luck in your search . :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement