Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black squirty stuff from dead mouse?

Options
  • 02-02-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

My cat caught and killed a mouse at some point during the night. I found it in the kitchen this morning and there were three 5inch lines of black stuff stuck hard to the ground, it looked like it had squirted out of the mouse, it was still attached. What is this stuff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

probably coagulated blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I wondered, but as there was fresh looking red blood on the little mouse I figured it couldn't have been. Thanks though.

bright red blood is veinous blood. dark blood is arterial which sprays a long distance, easily 5 inches in a mouse. I wouldn't sweat what it is and just clean it up though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

bright red blood is veinous blood. dark blood is arterial which sprays a long distance, easily 5 inches in a mouse. I wouldn't sweat what it is and just clean it up though

Thanks for that. I cleaned it when I found it but just wondered what the stuff was. It just looked wierd.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bright red blood is veinous blood. dark blood is arterial
    It's the other way around. Arterial blood is bright red in colour as it is oxygenated and is the stuff that spurts all over the place. Veinous blood is de-oxygenated (i.e. has had all the oxygen taken out of it by the body) and is dark red.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    It's the other way around. Arterial blood is bright red in colour as it is oxygenated and is the stuff that spurts all over the place. Veinous blood is de-oxygenated (i.e. has had all the oxygen taken out of it by the body) and is dark red.

so it is. I always get them mixed up. i blame a crap biology teacher

Advertisement