Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slaughter of the innocents

Options
  • 02-02-2011 6:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

There is shock and outrage in Canada.

A husky breeder, seeing the bottom fall out of the market, and being thus "overstocked", sent in employees with guns and massacred a hundred three year old, healthy, beautiful dogs.

He is of course facing serious charges and jail.
    And he will never, ever be allowed to keep a dog again.

One of the shooters is in a psych. ward, unable to face what he did. NO would have been fine.

The man claimed that he would not find anyone to take so many dogs in, but as we and other rescues have said, all of us would have rallied round and taken the dogs from him, and the Inuits would have taken them of course; they are precious to them.

We ourselves stopped breeding and showing many years ago now; there are too many dogs simply and so much need of skilled and experienced rescuers. So now we foster and rehome very carefully. The two wee whippet pups we have been fostering were the mistake of a ldy who took in two rescue dogs and bred them "for the experience"; she was appalled at how much work it involved so now her two have been spayed/neutered and the pups are being rehomed. Education is a large part of our work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Graces7 wrote: »
    There is shock and outrage in Canada.

A husky breeder, seeing the bottom fall out of the market, and being thus "overstocked", sent in employees with guns and massacred a hundred three year old, healthy, beautiful dogs.

He is of course facing serious charges and jail.
    And he will never, ever be allowed to keep a dog again.

One of the shooters is in a psych. ward, unable to face what he did. NO would have been fine.

The man claimed that he would not find anyone to take so many dogs in, but as we and other rescues have said, all of us would have rallied round and taken the dogs from him, and the Inuits would have taken them of course; they are precious to them.

We ourselves stopped breeding and showing many years ago now; there are too many dogs simply and so much need of skilled and experienced rescuers. So now we foster and rehome very carefully. The two wee whippet pups we have been fostering were the mistake of a ldy who took in two rescue dogs and bred them "for the experience"; she was appalled at how much work it involved so now her two have been spayed/neutered and the pups are being rehomed. Education is a large part of our work.

Surely this hasn't happened in Canada?:eek:

He wasn't a breeder, it was a working tourist kennels, for taking people out on sleds, after the olympics the bottom fell out of the market. This happened almost a year ago, and only came to light because one of the workers was compensated for post traumatic stress disorder. As I've said before on here, many, many times, sled dogs are not always treated properly in Canada and the U.S. they are simply a commodity to some.

This is a link to the story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12331024

The shock and outrage is around the world, which is why he is now facing charges, and I don't think you should comment that he won't be allowed to own dogs ever again until that has been decided in a court of law. There were 300 dogs there, 100 have been disposed of, how is he still allowed to have the other 200?

I didn't realise you ran a rescue, is it specifically for huskies? Oh you could be of great help to me then, I have a number of dogs that need fostering, if you could pm me your phone number, I can get them to you.

I also didn't realise that you bred, I thought it was your family, not you. You're not cutting and pasting this stuff are you?;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Well while looking at this story I came across this also:
    We are, as a society, divided on many animal welfare issues. Most of us accept that animals can be killed for our use, but would like their treatment to be humane.
    But we don’t take responsibility for ensuring that happens. Canada’s regulations, for example, allow cattle, sheep and goats to be transported in trucks for up to 52 hours, barely able to move and without food or water. The European standard is 12 hours.
    A freedom of information request last year that obtained three months of Canadian Food Inspection Agency reports from just some regions found 650,000 animals had died in transport — more than 7,000 a day.
    Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Editorial+Responsibility+animal+abuse/4206349/story.html#ixzz1CnJ3eBpx

It seems that animals are disposable in many different places.

That is great news that Graces runs a rescue also, more help for the husky's:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Its great she has started to run a rescue since last time she posted:) can you pass on your details and where your located.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Well, Karen, I am dead jealous now since you have now another sleddog rescue to help. Anyone fancy founding another Bull Breed rescue? I am getting a bit lonely :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have one bullbreed dog that I got from a shelter. I'll be your rescue!

• Advertisement

Cool :):D!

Being the only Bull Breed Rescue was getting a bit tedious but now I've got Sweeper as well!

(Just don't give me any cats. I already have enough to do with those.)

I have one bullbreed dog that I got from a shelter. I'll be your rescue!
    EGAR wrote: »
    Cool :):D!

Being the only Bull Breed Rescue was getting a bit tedious but now I've got Sweeper as well!

You do realise Sweeper is in Australia? My Dog, you've gone international, if you need anyone to go and do a homevisit for you Sarah, make sure Sweeper is up to the job, I'll volunteer:D You do pay expenses don't you?

You'll have to become EGAAAR

• Registered Users Posts: 28 traci doyle

Trying to read between the lines here....are people being sarcastic on a thread about animal rights,i really do believe there are people who love animals and people who are marters either way any animal would be happy to be fed and kept warm be it in a shelter or someones house...why are people being ratty on some of these threads its not about you if you can care for an animal do it if you cant you cant(obviously dont shoot them thats just so unnecessary).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Trying to read between the lines here....are people being sarcastic on a thread about animal rights,i really do believe there are people who love animals and people who are marters either way any animal would be happy to be fed and kept warm be it in a shelter or someones house...why are people being ratty on some of these threads its not about you if you can care for an animal do it if you cant you cant(obviously dont shoot them thats just so unnecessary).

You dont know the half of it, i suggest you look up some of the OP's other threads and come back to us then.;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What are your rehoming critera Graces? Do you have a list on-line somewhere? I'm considering adopting a second dog in the not too distant future, there is a chance I will be moving so I'm waiting for a bit too see how I will be fixed for space but it would be great to see what I should be looking for property wise when I start looking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Its not really a case of sarcasm or rattiness but light banter from folks who know each other as long time posters;).

ISDW wrote: »
    You do realise Sweeper is in Australia? My Dog, you've gone international, if you need anyone to go and do a homevisit for you Sarah, make sure Sweeper is up to the job, I'll volunteer:D You do pay expenses don't you?

You'll have to become EGAAAR

Why am I not surprised :(. Another one lost to OZ since my chief volunteer (who was/is also a boardsie on here) fecked off to OZ to find milk and honey...:D

International EGAR - sounds cool :D

(Just don't give me any cats. I already have enough to do with those.)

Mister Tiddles Tomcat could do with hols ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 traci doyle

thats ok just thought it was animal welfare that was the topic not the welfare of someones ego i better get outta here before i get the backlash :) i do believe that nobody should brag about looking after any animal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

EGAR wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised :(. Another one lost to OZ since my chief volunteer (who was/is also a boardsie on here) fecked off to OZ to find milk and honey...:D

International EGAR - sounds cool :D

EGAR International would be even cooler!!

Is Oz really as good as all that :eek: hmmmm . . . how much would it cost to transport a horse, two ponies, a dog and myself there?

Anyone have a rough idea?!?

thats ok just thought it was animal welfare that was the topic not the welfare of someones ego i better get outta here before i get the backlash :) i do believe that nobody should brag about looking after any animal.

There is quite a bit of history here, Graces has always held Canada up as a paragon of animal rights virtue, and Ireland as the worst place in the world to be an animal.

This is a dreadful story, but it should be put on here as honestly as it can be, as I corrected her/him it was not a breeder, but unfortunately a sled dog kennel, something very dear to my heart, as I run a sled dog rescue here in Ireland.

Apart from the horror of what happened to these dogs, one of the saddest parts of this story is that the owner of the dog was vice president of Mush with P.R.I.D.E., which is an organisation which was set up by sled dog owners to promote responsible ownership of these dogs. He has been removed from his post, and the organisation is trying to do some damage control. Their President, Karen Ramstead is someone that I admire hugely, a woman that runs the Iditarod most years with a team of Siberian Huskies, most mushers in the race use Alaskans. It would be a real shame if this organisation that has worked so hard to better the lives of these dogs was ruined because of this man's actions.
    EGAR International would be even cooler!!

Is Oz really as good as all that :eek: hmmmm . . . how much would it cost to transport a horse, two ponies, a dog and myself there?

Anyone have a rough idea?!?

I don't think I'd move to Oz now, too much water and wind there for my liking, they've really taken a battering lately. Weirdly, my preference for emigration would be Canada - honestly.

@adrenalinjunkie: Not sure, but if you call either Dogtainers or Jetpets they can tell you... You'll have to get pet passports too. However with a pet passport from Ireland, quarantine at this end is only one month.

As for whether Oz is all that, up to you - this year so far we've had the continuing plague of locusts, a number of major bushfires, catastrophic flooding of a state capital and a number of large towns across three states, and we're just waiting for the winds of Category 5 Cyclone Yasi, which landed at midnight last night in Far North Queensland, to die down so the emergency services can get in there and assess the extent of the damage.

...so you might be better off where you are. :pac: :pac: :pac:

As for forming my own bull breed rescue - I've gotten as far as one dog and I'm finding him exponentially harder than the cats, so I think I'll stick to the six cats I have and continue to do whatever I can in other ways.

On the subject of education - I persuaded the CEO of the hospital I work at to agree to the cost of a trap, neuter, release programme for the feral cats on the few hectares of bushland that we occupy. That was in July last year, and I haven't seen one since - they must have sensed the plan. :(

It was all my ex-volunteer's fault, Sweeper, he has brought it all over to you. Well, at least the flooding and the cyclone since he moved to Queensland :D.

- this year so far we've had the continuing plague of locusts, a number of major bushfires, catastrophic flooding of a state capital and a number of large towns across three states, and we're just waiting for the winds of Category 5 Cyclone Yasi, which landed at midnight last night in Far North Queensland, to die down so the emergency services can get in there and assess the extent of the damage.

...so you might be better off where you are. :pac: :pac: :pac:

Canada it is then so! :D

Or back to the slog of desperately seeking employment here :(. Then again I can see myself being in my element rooting around for surviving possums in the remains of burnt tree stumps in 3 feet high of water.

Anyhoo . . . back to the Huskies . . . .

• Advertisement
Advertisement