Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 Passat - Indicator Problems

Options
  • 02-02-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭

Two weeks ago, one of the indicators on my 06 Passat has decided to die - naturally it couldn't be one of the mirror lights, it has to be the front nearside one. :( Simultaneously I got a bulb out warning light on the dash and the left indicator symbol blinks like mad!

"Change the bulb then" I hear ye say but it's not a bulb.. its a nicely integrated DRL/indicator strip that is a direct replacement for the original unit (you may have seen pictures over on the main forum).

I've already been on to the supplier and he's making me up a new one but the weird thing about this is that when I lock/unlock the car with the key fob, the indicator/LED strip does blink (faintly).

The car also seems to eat bulbs generally (mostly the driver side dip bulb too!) so I'm thinking that maybe there's some sort of fault/short in the wiring anyway? I had an Indie check it out today and his advice was to take it to VW as the canbus wiring can cause havoc with the ECU under the wrong circumstances... this of course means big money no doubt?

Any thoughts? All the other lights/indicators are working fine and up until now so has this one. Alternatively, is the Indie right and would I be better taking her in to VW and swallowing the bill - again! :(

(Completely unrelated.. are any dealers buying cars for cash or would they take a direct trade (maybe even with a few quid my way) because I've been toying with the idea of selling this car and getting something a year or two older .. like an A6 or something like that. I know I could sell privately but would rather skip the hassle if I wasn't gonna lose out too badly in the difference! Aside from this issue she's running great and has a full on-time VW history, NCT etc)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Dodgy earth? Can wreak havok. Finding it is nigh on impossible without a wiring diagram and a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

First thing I would do is replace the aftermarket LED stuff with original fittings.
    If your leds type fittings require a very low current draw compare to the original bulbs, the car may be reading it as being dead. Alternatively, a bad earth.

First thing a dealer will do is replace aftermarket items which may be causing problems

Advertisement