Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming Off Job Seekers Allowance Starting Job

Options
  • 01-02-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi All,

I would be grateful if you could help me with few queries. I was employed in 2010 from January 2010-August 2010. Unfortunately I was let go and have been in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance from August 10 to January 2011 when I managed to secure a full time job and started late in Jan.

I contacted my local social welfare to let them know to the change in my circumstances and let them know I will no longer be claiming JSA. I should be owed a few days outstanding so am I elgible for this? I missed my last sign on date late in Jan,it slipped my mind with all excitment signing on with job so I don't think I will

Also how will my first pay check in Feb be affected. Will I have to pay lot more tax due to receiving JSA for four months. Will my tax credits be affected etc.

Someone mentioned filling out a P50 form for 2010 for a tax refund. can anyone explain about this form and I eligible please?

Thanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Congrats on the job.

Jobseekers is paid a week in advance, so often people actually have to refund the social welfare office for overpayments. However, if you're owed money you should get it. If you missed your signing date, yes it will be more hassle. Get your facts right, put it in a letter (including your workings) and bring it to the dole office. Prepare to queue.

The dole doesn't use up all your tax credits. So you won't pay more tax at all, in fact because you haven't been working you will have more tax credits left which will result in them deducting less tax (assuming you're single and your other half hasn't used any of your tax credits).

I'm not sure about a P50. Best thing you can do is register for PAYE anytime on revenue.ie's website. You can request a balancing statement which will automatically give you a refund of any overpayment of tax. I got €300 last week by requesting a balancing cert for 2010 :D

You can also use this website to claim for rent, service charges, medical fees and trade union subscriptions for the last 4 years if you haven't already done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭0e1

Hi. I'm on job seekers but I am trying to start as a sole trader. I've sent off tr1 to register for tax and VAT . Will this work while still on job seekers . I've been into welfare office 4 times trying to explain but won't talk to me and no help until 6 week back log clears.how do I get tax clearance cert ? Please help as I will be able to start work in a new job as soon as I get tax clearance and off job seekers !all advice wanted Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

0e1 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm on job seekers but I am trying to start as a sole trader. I've sent off tr1 to register for tax and VAT . Will this work while still on job seekers . I've been into welfare office 4 times trying to explain but won't talk to me and no help until 6 week back log clears.how do I get tax clearance cert ? Please help as I will be able to start work in a new job as soon as I get tax clearance and off job seekers !all advice wanted Thanks

If you are on jobseekers allowance and want to become self employed you should apply for back to work enterprise allowance http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Work-Enterprise-Allowance-Self-Employed.aspx if you are receiving jobseekers benefit you should apply for short term enterprise allowance http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Short-Term-Enterprise-Allowance.aspx

Thank you
    I have tried to apply but there is a huge backlog!

My potential employers wants me to start ASAP and I need a tax clearance cert, how do I obtain this I've filled out and posted the tr1 form to apply for tax
    Do I also need to pp,y for a tax clearance cert and if so, do I need to wait until I'm registered first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

0e1 wrote: »
    Thank you
    I have tried to apply but there is a huge backlog!

My potential employers wants me to start ASAP and I need a tax clearance cert, how do I obtain this I've filled out and posted the tr1 form to apply for tax
    Do I also need to pp,y for a tax clearance cert and if so, do I need to wait until I'm registered first?

Im afraid I dont know anything about tax clearance etc.... you will need to sign off jobseekers if you are going to be working full time or you could have your means assessed for self employment and you may still be able to get some jobskeekers.

• Advertisement

Thanks . Any one else have info on how long it takes to get tax clearance ? I can work once I get it .?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Contact Revenue about the Tax Clearance Cert. My impression is/was that you dont need a TCC until you have accounts submitted after your first year's trading. But Revenue may be able to give you some document to cover you. If you are starting as a sole trader, you cannot have an employer. So you must be in a contract. Unless this contract is worth over €5k, you may not need a TCC.

Advertisement