Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ales / beers from Lidl

Options
  • 01-02-2011 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Just last weekend I've had some new ales and beers from Lidl, they are Brewed in the UK and are very tasty. I think they were called Spitfire, Amber and Bishops Finger. Bishops Finger gave rise to all sorts puns and was the tastiest of all. I can well recommend you getting a few Bishops Fingers into you ;)

Their site is here with some photos of the packaging: http://www.bishopsfinger.co.uk/intro.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They've been carrying the Shepherd Neame range for ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Just last weekend I've had some new ales and beers from Lidl, they are Brewed in the UK and are very tasty. I think they were called Spitfire, Amber and Bishops Finger. Bishops Finger gave rise to all sorts puns and was the tastiest of all. I can well recommend you getting a few Bishops Fingers into you ;)

Their site is here with some photos of the packaging: http://www.bishopsfinger.co.uk/intro.htm

New beers? Shepherds Neame is about the UK's oldest brewers :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Don't care for them too much - a bit too peppery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Bishops Finger has been around in Ireland a while. My local off-licence in Limerick stocks it, and I've enjoyed it. It has a distinctive taste, and advertising campaign to boot actually: http://www.coolmarketingthoughts.com/2006/10/ [scroll down a bit to see it].

Nice to know that Lidl are now stocking it, as I can now get it elsewhere, and probably cheaper too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Am a big fan of Spitfire, the other two less so. They can also be bought in your local Supervalue and Tesco (usually for €2 per bottle in Tesco). Lidl supply can be a little sporadic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 OperaticBug

New beers? Shepherds Neame is about the UK's oldest brewers :)

Yes I know they are the UKs oldest brewery, new meant new to me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 OperaticBug

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Am a big fan of Spitfire, the other two less so. They can also be bought in your local Supervalue and Tesco (usually for €2 per bottle in Tesco). Lidl supply can be a little sporadic.

True - went there last weekend and they didn't have any :( - ended up with Guinness instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Lidl beers = Hangover from hell:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

almanu wrote: »
    Lidl beers = Hangover from hell:(

Better off buying them in O'Briens then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

stimpson wrote: »
    Better off buying them in O'Briens then?

nah Molloys for me thanks , i did try those St Etiennes now in fairness they were not too bad, still a mother of a hangover all the same:D but i am in my 30s so it does not really matter what i drink now , still messes me up good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Tesco in cork is after pushing spitfire up 50c to 2.49 - along with all other imported bottled ale & beer. Even O'Hara's is now 2.89 for a 500ml bottle. How is O'Hara's expected to flourish as a business when their beers are this expensive in Tesco - it being the cheapest place for bottled beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

How is O'Hara's expected to flourish as a business when their beers are this expensive in Tesco
    By selling hardly any beer in Ireland. The last number I heard was 70% of their production goes straight to export. It may be higher since they moved to a bigger brewery last summer.

BeerNut wrote: »
    By selling hardly any beer in Ireland. The last number I heard was 70% of their production goes straight to export. It may be higher since they moved to a bigger brewery last summer.
    How come that? Are they resigned to the realities of the domestic beer market or what?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Are they resigned to the realities of the domestic beer market or what?
    I don't think "resigned" is the right word. But they do deal in realities: you don't stay in any business for 15 years without doing that.

I'm sure if the shelves and cellars of Ireland were being swept clean of O'Hara's on a weekly basis and they were struggling to meet demand they might sell more of it here.

still though, its nice to know that they do have a decent export market. Im guessing people are crying out for Irish craft beers abroad.

Even O'Hara's is now 2.89 for a 500ml bottle. How is O'Hara's expected to flourish as a business when their beers are this expensive in Tesco - it being the cheapest place for bottled beer.
    But O'Hara's could never compete with the macros on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

BaZmO* wrote: »

I don't suppose anyone knows where I could get Dungarven Stout in Limerick? Does O Briens or Superquinn stock it nationally?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

TheWarrior wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone knows where I could get Dungarven Stout in Limerick? Does O Briens or Superquinn stock it nationally?
    The millers loft six mile bridge might be the nearest

http://www.themillersloft.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

TheWarrior wrote: »

It's stocked in O'Brien's as of last week. Should be a couple of more Limerick places stocking it in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

Great - Thanks for the info. looking forward to getting my hands on some!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

BaZmO* wrote: »

O'Hara's is 2.59 a bottle in my O'Briens. The Off license next to Cassidys on Camden st has 4 O'Hara's for €10. You can get it a bit cheaper when you shop around. I don't think you'll ever get craft beer like that cheaper than €2.50 a bottle though. It's worth it though imo. You just have to drink a bit less of it.

redlead wrote: »
    O'Hara's is 2.59 a bottle in my O'Briens. The Off license next to Cassidys on Camden st has 4 O'Hara's for €10. You can get it a bit cheaper when you shop around. I don't think you'll ever get craft beer like that cheaper than €2.50 a bottle though.
    I was just speaking in general terms. You can also get 4 for €10 from Drinkstore.ie

You just have to drink a bit less of it.
    Ah I generally do. When I used to drink the likes of Heineken, Carlsberg, etc. I'd drink an awful lot more in a sitting. With craftbeer you tend to take your time and savour the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tombones

I do enjoy the bishops finger, however ,it goes right through me. Huh huh huh. Keep the beer and the puns flowing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

O'Hara's is 2.59 a bottle in my O'Briens. The Off license next to Cassidys on Camden st has 4 O'Hara's for €10. You can get it a bit cheaper when you shop around. I don't think you'll ever get craft beer like that cheaper than €2.50 a bottle though. It's worth it though imo. You just have to drink a bit less of it.

It's €1.99 in Tesco now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Lidl are selling Shepherd Neame Double Stout for €1.40 a bottle. I picked up that and some Nobelaner for watching the match on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

Nice One KJ. Just cleared out the local Lidl. Will open a few later on this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I love a good Bishops finger :eek:

Advertisement