Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone flooding in 1954

Options
  • 01-02-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, im wondering does anyone have any information on the flooding in Athlone in 1954 or would ye know of anywhere I could obtain additional information other than e.g. co.councils, county library etc??:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

The OPW would probably be a good place to start since they are over all of the hydrometric stations and weirs. Also they produce the flood hazard maps, so I'd say they'd have information on the Athlone flood. However, from what I can remember from the undergrad, hydrometric data in Ireland is somewhat scant and poor. The quality gets better from the 1970s onwards but the 1950s is pretty shaky to say the least. I'd contact the OPW in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭buttylegs

Cheers, yes i've had a look at the OPW site and to be honest its not the easiest site to navigate around! I think I might actually contact the office to see if there might be a more direct route of obtaining data. The problem is really getting info about the 1954 but i'll continue looking! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

buttylegs wrote: »
    Cheers, yes i've had a look at the OPW site and to be honest its not the easiest site to navigate around! I think I might actually contact the office to see if there might be a more direct route of obtaining data. The problem is really getting info about the 1954 but i'll continue looking! :)

What kind of information are you after? Is it general stuff like areas flooded or is it specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The OPW have hydrometric data from 1952 in Athlone.

When I contacted them a few years back for a research project on flooding they couldnt have been more helpful (as opposed to met eireann who charged for an excel spreadsheet of precipitation data :rolleyes:). Request the data and there shouldn't be a problem.

Advertisement