Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Foal!! Need lost of Information

Options
  • 01-02-2011 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi everyone, I got a horse 5 months ago a gorgeous Friesian x irish draught. She is nearly 5. She has been let out for the winter as I couldnt get up to her much. I brought her in last week and had her vet checked.
    I just found out that she is about 6 months in foal.
    I dont mind to much just I have no knowledge whatsoever of a horse in foal or how to care for a foal.
    My mare is in an excellent livery yard and I know they will help me out, but would really like to get involved and do as much as I can.
    My mare dose not know me to well, and she is one them mares that takes hours to catch in a field, usualy takes 3 people and a tractor to catch her (dont think she got out much before i had her).
    She is a very sweet horse dosnt kick buck or bite. Never shown any aggression towards anyone. She is also very head shy.
    Is there anyone than can help me work with her, perelli or anything of the sort? Also all information on horse and foal care would be great, I have read up a bit about it but alot of the sites say differnt things.
    I would nearly pay someone to teach me to work with foals, pregnant mares.
    Any information and help greatly apreciated.
    I am in the meath/kildare area
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Not overly sure as I'm not experianced with pregnant mares and foals but I'll give my two cents worth.

The yard said they will help, which is great. They should know how to handle the foal when it comes. What you need to do is keep a watch for any abnormalities.

You need to get her used to being caught. This will help loads, especially when the foal arrives. Try taking her in at night and leaving her in the field during the day for a while. This will take time but patience and a bucket of hard feed usually pays off :p

As for reading up, don't. There always will be different versions so don't bother. Ask in the yard she is kept for things you can do to help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

I am in the exact same position!
    I jst rescued a 3 yrold Id x Tb filly and found out she is 7 to 9 months in foal!!
    I have up't her food and added some extra vitamins and mineral, she is out all day and in at night.
    But like you i have no experience of foaling myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 camaira

Thanks very much for replys.
    Yeh the yard will help out no problem they are very nice. I am unable to get up to her everyday so cannot bring her in every night and let her out as with the 2 young kids I dont have an hour or 2 to be spending trying to catch her. And not sure if the people on the yard have the time to catch her every evening. (but it wouldnt hurt to ask all the same :)
    I wish hard feed would work for her, but it dosnt :(
    I have been givin a numer for a guy that does parelli. Was in touch with him and he has said a few sessions with him and I should bond with her and she will be coming to me instead of running from me. He has an open fun day this sat that he invited me to come to see how it all works. So I am looking forward to going to that. Anyone intrested can pm me and ill pass details to you. The guy is really nice. And have heard great results from people I know who have done it. It is only €30 an hour which is pretty cheap.
    I really need to get my horse to trust and come to me otherwise ill have serious problems when the foal comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

Parelli??? Save your money and buy some 18% cool and cooked or stud cubes. Go to mare EVERY DAY or even TWICE A DAY with bucket. She'll soon get the hang of your company = food = nice!!!

It's the best way, in my opinion. Don't be tempted to try and grab the headcollar or to get ropes on her. Remember, she is has a prey animal brain... she has to learn to trust you.

keep her in a smallish field e.g. one or two accres rather than having lots of space that she has available to run to. After two or three weeks, she'll be eating out of your hand. JKust don't rush her.... let her dictate the pace... you dictate the terms....

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Hi camaira,

My Friesian Mare had a foal 15 months ago. I had it all planned in my head, everything was going to run smoothly etc etc, to cut a long story short, foal was born in a storm 2 weeks premature, got separated by a fence from the mare for the first 6 / hours of life & spent a week in Somerton Equine Hospital! Thank god all turned out ok though! I would advise to keep her in the routine that she is used to, just check her a little more often if you can nearer the expected birth date.

I found that a mixture of treats (to catch her) & parelli (head shy issue) worked a treat. My mare was quite head shy also, she had some issues with her ears which have been more or less completely solved using parelli. Each to their own though, you will find what works best for you.

I have attached some pix of the lil guy one day old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Just re-read my post and realised it sounds quite scary! what I'm trying to say is you can have the best possible plans etc but you never know whats going to happen, all you can do is prepare yourself as best you can! go to the library and get some books on mares & foals etc. Read up all the info you and be prepared for anything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 camaira

Bearpup the pics are fantastic, the foal is gorgeous. Cannot wait for my mares due date now :)
    Yeh I got 2 books off someone so going to read up as much I can. Your so luckey that the foal is alright. And just hope everything goes well with my mare. They have a foaling room with cctv and internet access at my stud so coming nearer the due date she will be brought in at night, but not sure if its the right or wrong thing to do.
    And yeh I really cant wait to start the parelli with her, seen a few of the amazing things this guy can do.

Advertisement