Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Ubuntu - In the cloud!

Options
  • 01-02-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I need to setup a couple of servers to run a Windows application, but i'm hoping Linux could help here costs wise.

At the moment running windows machines in the cloud is pretty expensive and works out on average €50pm per server.

The application can run under WINE and since Linux machines are MUCH cheaper I'm thinking this could be a goer!

One of the nicest cheapest providers I've found is called rackspacecloud.com and offer lots of different versions of Linux based OS's running in a cloud. However all off them will only leave me with a SHSH prompt.

Is there any way I can get the GUI version up running from that?

Here is the OS's they offer:
    http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers/technology/

On of them is Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) if thats any use.

Cheers guys in advanced! :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Do you mean a SSH prompt? If so, sounds like you want to run X over SSH. If you search for "X over SSH" you'll find loads of HOWTOs like this, but it boils down to running a command like ssh -c -X user@server.corp.com on a Linux client. A Windows client will need a bit more software before you can do that e.g. Cygwin (free) or a commercial X setup like Hummingbird.

If the app is graphics-intensive e,g, a game, I don't know how much performance you're going to get, with each frame going over the Internet ... :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tehjimmeh

Have a look at NX, allows persistent graphical shells, and is a much better solution than just forwarding X and running gnome-session or w/e.

http://www.nomachine.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Cheers for you help guys!

Got this in the end, I just installed xbuntu-desktop

For any other noobs in the future who might encounter this (seems like loads on google)

Login if prompted and run
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop or (xubuntu for low spec machines)
    yes
    startx done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭niallb

Great that's worked out for you.
    How are you connecting to the desktop after it's installed?
    Most of the comments here are just about ways to reach a remote desktop.
    Do rackspace include a VNC server or something for the machine from the word go?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

So far I've been doing EVERYTHING through VNC and tbh its much easier.
    No Control Panel messing around.

As soon as your server is created (normally within about 20 seconds) you can VNC in to the command prompt.
    VNC isnt running on the machine so it must be some fancy virtualization server they got that works like a KVM.

The company is Atlantic.net, really good value. My machine running Xubuntu is just €7 a month (or 1 cent hourly) all in, ya cant go wrong with that. Suits me down to the ground anyway!

You can open a account now with your credit card and get a free €15 euro to try out, its what I'm using. Their customer care is excellent too so I'd highly recommend them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement