Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my cat getting stinky?

Options
  • 01-02-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I have a lovely 1.5 year old spayed female cat.

She has recently started to smell a bit - the fur along her back in particular. Can't really place what it smells like, a bit musty perhaps but it's fairly unpleasant.

How likely is it that another cat sprayed on her or something? Or could it be something else? We haven't changed her food at all, and she does groom herself!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I'd say it's probably unlikely another cat would spray on her. Have you noticed any change in her coat condition or underlying skin there? For example, is it greasier or flakes of skin or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I've had cats get sprayed by tomcats before - that's what it sounds like to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

No, no changes as far as I can see :(

Still as fluffy as ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

planetX wrote: »
    I've had cats get sprayed by tomcats before - that's what it sounds like to me.

Hmm - should I wash her or let nature take it's course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

good luck trying to wash her:D
    she'll smell worse if you get her wet!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I have a tom, he smells a bit after going out. Sometimes he hides under a car and rubs his fur at it.

Well, I have some baby wipes to rub his fur, he doesn't mind that at all, but washing him? No way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

As odd as this sounds, have you checked her mouth...my friend had a cat who had an abscess in her mouth and it was infected, so when she groomed herself, the smell from her using her saliva was spread down her coat when she licked it. Worth investigating in case she needs a dental!

Advertisement