Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Bhs Centres

Options
  • 01-02-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

im currently studying for my bhs, (as i said before :)) and have decided to do it aroud may/june time.

the only thing is, is that im nervous i will pick the wrong exam centre, as my instructor has said that she only knows of 2 suitable ones in ireland to do it. And i also know people who have failed the riding, due to the ponies, and they are very good riders usually.

any suggestions on good centres??...as it is a lot of money, together with training, to get this crutial bit wrong :(, :O

Has anyone had any experiences in Laurel View Equestrain, as that seems to be the one im gearing towards??

Thanks in advanced :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

Never heard of it. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 plcgirl

its in county antrim i think!!

im in mayo, so there are no centres near me...i was hoping to get brennanstown but there was a mix up in the bookings and now its full!!

im hoping i can get some help in picking 1!

If you are happy enough to travel to Dublin try Thornton Park or Calliaghstown (not sure if they are still running the BHS training programs but they used to).

thanks, ill try them!!...i dont mind travelling atal as there is no centres in the west, i will have to travel anyways!...have you taken exams at these??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Thornton still does

• Advertisement

I did my BHS exams over twelve years ago in Calliaghstown, they were really good at the time but to be honest to get BHS accreditation as a teaching/exam centre they will have have to be of a certain high standard.

I've been to Thornton Park recently (not as a student, for lessons) and like the tuition there as well. Its a pretty good set up in my opinion. If you could talk to some people who have studied at both places recently you could get a better persepctive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rstax

Laurel View is fairly new to doing the exams I think.. Haven't done one there my exams there, but done some competitions there and its a nice place... BE WARNED-very hard to find.. Allow plenty of time, and get good directions from comebody... Still get lost and have been there lots..
    On the other hand - done exams in kildalton, brennanstown and calligstown, and havent had a bad experience at any...
    Good luck in your exams! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The riding school at Callaigstown has closed down now and all the school horses are basicly gone, so all the horses used there for exams now are private liveries. Absolute best exam centre is Kildalton College in Piltown, the sole purpose of the horses there are for BHS training, absolute fecker of a place to get to though so I'd plan to arrive the day before if thats where you end up. You might not get a place now at this stage though, this time last year all exam spaces for the year (everywhere) were completely booked up. All centers have their own students and these and the FAS students doing placement at non-exam centre yards get priority and are booked basicaly before the date is even confirmed. This is probably why you have had a centre in the North recommended to you.

I have advised you before to book asap but you don't seem to have seen my posts on your previous threads.

thanks all!!:)

adrenalinjunkie, i had booked a place in brennanstown a while back, but the BHS made a mistake and over booked 3 people ( me being one of those people:mad:) and now i am on the look out for a new centre,so i was atchally organised apart from that hiccup.

i am just enquiring about laurel view as they said that that had many spaces on it, and was wondering had any one had any experiences at it!! :)

On the plus side though, they have been very kind and told me they are putting up new exam dates in southern ireland, and have put my name on the top of the list!!...so i am guaranteed to do the exam in summer!!:)...by any chance has anyone been to clonshire??

i have also got that book you recommended to me and its good, thanks!!:)

just curious now but what was ye're general dress code for the care section??:confused:

i no i seem to be going on a bit, but its just i want to get it right, as i have herd of people who fail on the smallest of details!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

plcgirl wrote: »
    thanks all!!:)

by any chance has anyone been to clonshire??

It wasn't on the list last year so they must be new to exams.
    plcgirl wrote: »
    thanks all!!smile.gif
    just curious now but what was ye're general dress code for the care section??confused.gif

I just did the care in my showjacket, some people wore a v-neck jumper underneath and took the jacket off for the care but they were half boiled to death during the riding, you could always take it off for the riding though. For some reason everyone wore their BHS badges on their jackets :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement