Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reek 24 hour challenge

Options
  • 01-02-2011 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭

Spotted this on the Connemara Rough Diamond facebook page from Padraig Marrey and thought it may be of interest to people here, sounds pretty interesting and challenging, and on the face of it doable.
    Want to be part of a team that creates History?, want to see how far you can push, your body, your limbs and you mental strength?
    Then if you are willing to try, this challenge is for you, Croagh Patrick has never been climbed more than 9 times in a 24hr period, I believe I can train a group to do it 12times and create history by climbing more meters than is equivalent to climbing Mt Everest.

February 20th sign on at the Croagh Patrick Car park from 10am. Cost €10, pays for refreshments and back up personal.
    The trial will be 3 times up the Reek around the church at the top and back down to Car park.
    To be considered for the next stage participants must complete the 3 ascents and descents inside 5hrs.
    After the trial a short discussion will take place in Campbell’s pub to discuss future training and trial days. Charity organisations might be interested in using the venture to raise money, this may be an option but the GOAL is to succeed and set an outright record.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Definetly an interesting challenge, although looks to be a bit of money spinner for the organiser.

Would it not get incredibley boring doing the same route twelve times one after the other though.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

I know someone mad enough for this. I'll pass the info on. Thanks
    Gillo wrote: »
    Would it not get incredibley boring doing the same route twelve times one after the other though.

I'd say after about the third time "boring" won't be the word to spring to mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Spotted this on the Connemara Rough Diamond facebook page from Padraig Marrey and thought it may be of interest to people here, sounds pretty interesting and challenging, and on the face of it doable.

Doable, but might be harder than you think.
    9 times was hard enough.......apparently ;)

You see all kinds of things on that mountain over a 24 hour period. Combine that with good company and its not boring.

No comment on the money other than to say that I'd be disappointed if any individual was profiteering from this event. As far as I know anyone who has done this before always did it for charity. I'm sure the €10 charge is entirely innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

ThisRegard wrote: »

I noticed in Outsider and other places it is being referenced that the Guiness World Record for most vertical metres climbed would be broken by this event. I think for sake of accuracy its worth pointing out that while this may be a record for the reek other challenges have climbed significantly more vertical metres in 24 hours.

Mark Hartell ascended 39900ft (12161m) during his Lakeland 24 Hour record in 1997 which is the most amount of ascent I am aware of compared to the just under 10000m estimated for ten ascents of CP.

Advertisement