Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graeme Obree

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Vélo wrote: »

Isn't he married with kids?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Yes, married with two kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Fair play to Obree for coming out. Living a lie can't have helped his mental health over the years.

Like Oscar Wilde? Or Michael Barrymore? Elton John was married to woman once for god's sake.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes. He's divorced now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Strange choice of newspaper to come out to. I wonder did he have much choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Vélo wrote: »

Happy for him that he's figured out what must have been tormenting him for years.

It's not uncommon for gay men to get married and/or have kids, I've met 2 who have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

No, I thought he was still married, that's why I kind of looked at it with one eyebrow raised.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Always like GO for his independent attitude.

He talks about the reasons behind his suicide attempts here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/8293743/Graeme-Obree-former-world-pursuit-champion-and-hour-record-holder-reveals-he-is-homosexual.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 falladeen

Ah FFS people its the Sun Newspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

falladeen wrote: »
    Ah FFS people its the Sun Newspaper

Well you can pop over to his twitter page if you don't believe what The Sun writes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

it would not be fair to anyone to bottle up there feelings for that long. it doesn't matter how he addressed it to the public, that is what he wanted to do to lift his burden so i say fair play and lets hope this be turning point in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I thought it might be worth throwing this in here, for anyone who hasn't seen it. It's a documentary from '93/'94 on the Obree-Boardman Hour Record showdown. If you've seen The Flying Scotsman, you'll probably recognise this as the source for some scenes.

It's about an hour long. This is the first of 8 parts- follow the links for the rest. Good stuff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Fair play to Graeme. :) It's sad to see that he struggled with accepting that he is gay for so long. I hope he is truly happy and himself now.

I just wish more sportspeople would come out. There are still so many in the closet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

lots have sure isnt thereeven a gay olympics!

would you like to name names?

Heres one for youse...<snip>

morana wrote: »
    Heres one for youse...<snip>

Lets not have any speculation about people's private lives here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

el tonto wrote: »
    Lets not have any speculation about people's private lives here.

sorry I thought you would see it as a joke..

Advertisement