Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB tyre size

Options
  • 31-01-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

I have 26x2.1 MTB tyres on and I'd like to change them to slicks or semis.

what sizes should I be looking at? Most of the slicks seem to be narrower than 2.1, does that matter? Will I need to change the tube?

Also - any recommendations?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

I did a bit more searching - most widths should fit.

Most of my cycling is on the roads - hoping to do some decent cycles at the weekends.

was thinking of something like this?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24629

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Those city jets will work fine. I had something similar on one of my bikes at one stage. If you are riding mostly on the road then they are the way to go as they make a huge difference.

As for tubes I managed to reuse my MTB tubes but it was a bit of a sqeeze as they were designed for tyres 2.1-2.4in You probably would be better of with 26in tubes designed for 1.5in width.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Those city jets will work fine. I had something similar on one of my bikes at one stage. If you are riding mostly on the road then they are the way to go as they make a huge difference.

As for tubes I managed to reuse my MTB tubes but it was a bit of a sqeeze as they were designed for tyres 2.1-2.4in You probably would be better of with 26in tubes designed for 1.5in width.

Thanks. Yes - on longer rides I find I'm fighting againsts the knobbly tyres all the time!

I'll get the tyres and then see how the tubes fit.

Advertisement