Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crate

Options
  • 31-01-2011 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Have a question re crates. I want to get one for my boxer. The only reason I want the crate or the only purpose this crate will have will be as her bed to sleep in. She's fine at home but I want to be able to bring her with me if I'm staying over anywhere which isn't Bailey proofed lol.

I had her in the pet shop today and got her into the 'large' crate... she fitted and could turn around but when she sat down she had to crouch i.e she couldn't sit properly. Is this a requirement for getting a crate? It'l only be used for sleeping in the rest of the time she'll be out and about as normal.

There was an X-Large but it was WAY too big for my Bailey. She's probably use some of it as her 'bathroom' area which is what I want to avoid as she's learned to hold it all night.

So would the Large do? or should i get the bigger one so she can 'sit' properly?

Thanks xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Hi-I would go for the X-large. She doesn't sound too comfortable in the large one. Also unless its huge I dont think she would use it as her "bathroom" area. A dogs crate is their "safe place" (like their bedroom) and they usually try to keep it clean. Hope I hepled

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd probably go for the large since it's just for sleeping. Really you want them to be that relaxed in the crate that they'd be lying down and relaxing and not sitting up causing trouble lol. I thought the size large might be a bit small for my guy but when he started on crate rest he'd only sleep in that one - we have 2 crates. The second one which I prefer is an Atlas 100 - one of the plastic car type ones. It was about €10 more than a wire one of the same size and like it better because it's not as noisy and more stable/stronger than the wire one you can wipe it down, it has storage compartments, you can use it in the car, there's no finger crushing danger like the wire one etc . When we started crate rest I put the Atlas in the kitchen where his plastic basket type bed was and the wire one in the sitting room and put his bed inside. Since he's finished crate rest the wire one has been taken down and I've left the plastic one in the kitchen as it looks neater imo and he likes it to snooze in it. Also it acts as a sheild for my socks on the radiator :pac:
    I've attached 2 pics so you can see the difference - the wire one is the evening he was released from jail - he still brought his kong into the crate lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

The x.large would be plenty size if it's only for sleeping. Go for the wire rather than the box if you want it only for travelling and sleep over's. Only reason is it's easier to pack. Don't buy it brand new either, there are loads up for sale on done deal, I got my x.large one for €70.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Aw! tk123 your dog looks soo cosy!! Thanks for the advice :)

Think i'll go for the large one.. I can also use it then for her own bed at night when we put her out in the hall.

Might look on done deal too as Ruby suggested... the brand new ones are ridic expensive!

Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

If she can stand up and turn around then the large should be fine! I have the xLarge for my guy and he cant sit straight up in the crate when sitting but he can lie flat out in it when lying down and turn around fully when standing. If it crate is too big they may not get the samse sense of security they get from being in a smaller space. Most of the time my chap is curled up in a ball in one end snoring his head off! Also if you want to be able to bring it with you the xlarge may be too big as I cannot fit mine comfortably in my car even when flattened!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Aoife where are you? I have an extra large crate, big enough for my 15 month old great dane so would definitely be big enough for your boxer. It is in perfect condition, I just don't use it anymore. I'm just outside Waterford City and it would need to be collected.

If you're interested send me a pm, if not, if anyone else is interested, give me a shout, it's just taking up space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I dont live close enought to avail of Pixie's kind offer but I've got my local buy and sell mag and will hopefully get one there.

:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP I'd recommend looking online. The prices are so much better.

Advertisement