Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary school teaching in the UK

Options
  • 31-01-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I'm very confused. I want to become a primary school teacher but I didnt do honours irish for the leaving cert so I am planning on doing the training in the UK and doing the irish exam when (if) I come back. I have an undergrad degree in geography and english and a masters in geography.

However, friends of mine are telling me all sorts of different things about the teaching courses in the UK. I find the gttr website really confusing also. Just to clear it up, does anyone know if I could get a grant from any of the UK colleges to do the course? If so, how much would the grant be and which colleges do this? I couldnt afford fees at the moment myself even though I'm saving everything I can. :(

If anyone has an idea give me a shout. Or if anyone has gone down this route. Thanks a million. Any replies would be really appreciated.

Frain!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

hey Frain,

yeah the gttr site is a bit daunting when you look at it first! I'm currently doing my PGCE in University of East London so can offer what little wisdom i've acquired..

As irish students we are not entitled to a maintenance grant under the english system..all trainee teachers do however get a monthly bursery (this year £444 pm) which does not have to be repaid..

There is a students loan company that sorts out an interest free loan for you, to pay your tuition fees (£3290 this year)..you only begin to pay that back when you are working and earning over a certain income level..
    But beware, the government here are in the process of lifting the cap on uni fees so this amount is sure to increase over the next year or so, no one really knows by how much yet, but it could double!

The most improtant thing to have before you apply is some experience, and then start going through te colleges on the GTTR site depending on where you fancy etc...
    oh, and watch out for the course requirements, all english unis require GCSE level science, maths and english..this is equivalent to our leaving cert, so if you haven't leaving cert science, you will have to do an equivalency exam (not difficult), but not all unis offer this so bear that in mind...

any other questions, fire away!!
    Good luck, Mags x

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The most improtant thing to have before you apply is some experience, and then start going through te colleges on the GTTR site depending on where you fancy etc...
    Unlikely any Irish school would take someone unqualifed to work ,esp with so many fully qualifed teachers unempolyed. It might be possible to do some voluntary work, but even this is disappearing with the need for garda clearence before many schools would even consider you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 frain

Thanks a million for your replies guys. Any advice at all is great.

Do you have to apply or qualify for the bursary mags or does every trainee get it? Is this paid from the college or another system?

I have some voluntary secondary teaching experience alright and did some sub primary teaching a couple of years ago. I also have my english, maths and science subjects from leaving cert.

How did you guys find the interview process? Were you interviewed by a panel with other interviewees etc? I have missed the boat for 2011 entry.

Again thanks very much for responding magpie and hook.

Frain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

The bursery is automatic with the course, but i was just reading in the paper yesterday that there are rumours that it will be scrapped for those beginning teacher training in 2012..The new government is brining in lots of changes so its good to stay tuned to news over here for updates..

On the plus side they haven't cut trainee places in p0rimary, but they have in secondary..

The interview was fine, differs depending on the college you apply to..some panels, some one-on-ones..

It may be worth having a quick look online to see if there are any colleges with places still left..i know there was a lot of people on my course that applied late and got in..have a look on the GTTR..I'd say if you can get in anywhere for sept 2011 do it, cos the following year will bring big changes...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 frain

I had a look on the website and there are a few courses with vacancies alright. I'll give them a go so. Thanks so much for all the advice mags, you've been great. If I think of anything else I'll come back to you. Best of luck with your teaching.:)

Frain x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

hey Frain,

yeah the gttr site is a bit daunting when you look at it first! I'm currently doing my PGCE in University of East London so can offer what little wisdom i've acquired..

As irish students we are not entitled to a maintenance grant under the english system..all trainee teachers do however get a monthly bursery (this year £444 pm) which does not have to be repaid..

There is a students loan company that sorts out an interest free loan for you, to pay your tuition fees (£3290 this year)..you only begin to pay that back when you are working and earning over a certain income level..
    But beware, the government here are in the process of lifting the cap on uni fees so this amount is sure to increase over the next year or so, no one really knows by how much yet, but it could double!

oh, and watch out for the course requirements, all english unis require GCSE level science, maths and english..this is equivalent to our leaving cert, so if you haven't leaving cert science, you will have to do an equivalency exam (not difficult), but not all unis offer this so bear that in mind...

any other questions, fire away!!
    Good luck, Mags x

Hi when was your start date last year? i see september on the website but whats the usual start date? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pulp_fishin

Hi Frain did you have any luck finding a course and securing grant etc?? im in your situation now, is there any info/advice you could give me?? Thanks, John

• Registered Users Posts: 1 green159

Hi Everyone,
    I am currently applying for a Hibernia College, Masters Degree in Primary School Education. I don't know if I will get in this year. I was wondering does anyone know, what are my options in England, Wales, Scotland etc. in regards to qualifying as a primary school teacher in order to work in Ireland. Does anyone know what courses are good in England or Wales and how long does it take to qualify? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

green159 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what courses are good in England or Wales and how long does it take to qualify? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

It takes a year and then you HAVE to do another year in England or Wales to become fully qualified.

You'll get from the course what you put into it. No course will make you a better teacher. You will only be good if you put in the work.

You apply through the UCAS website but I'd imagine everywhere is full at this stage. You'll have to wait until September to apply for the 2015/2016 academic year.

Advertisement