Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology and Psychoanalysis

Options
  • 30-01-2011 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I was just wondering how do you go about training/studying to become a psychoanalyst?

Thanks in advance

There are many routes, all invovle post grad study. My was BA in Psychoanalysis, M.A.in Psychoanalysis [By Research] I opted not to do the clinical MA as I was already working clinically in the HSE. The the most important part is personal analysis, I done 5 years up to 2002, just started back again last Nov.

Fire away with any questions if you are interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

Odysseus wrote: »
    There are many routes, all invovle post grad study. My was BA in Psychoanalysis, M.A.in Psychoanalysis [By Research] I opted not to do the clinical MA as I was already working clinically in the HSE. The the most important part is personal analysis, I done 5 years up to 2002, just started back again last Nov.

Fire away with any questions if you are interested.

I would be starting out pretty much fresh. Looking to do a degree in Psychotherapy (or possibly psychology) I've always wondered though what is the difference between a psychotherapist and a psychoanalyst? Apologies, that's probably been asked a few times on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

A poster has asked about become a psychoanalyst, and it later turned into the difference between a psychoanalyst and a psychologist in another thread. I happy to deal with the psychoanalytic stuff and hopefully someone will be kind enough to poster about the psychology side. I will move the posts here.

Firstly lets not turn this into my way is better than yours. We are both highly trained professionals. As an I analyst I'm interested in the unconscious meaning of the symptom not curing the symptom per se.

Training is based upon post-grad study, and personal analysis. Personal analysis is fundamental in relation to be an analyst. As I said my first analysis lasted 5 years twice a week for 3, and one a week for two. I am back in analysis again after an eight year break, which is three time a week.

I training as a Lacaian Psychoanalysis, which is very strongly based upon a re-reading of Freud through structural linguistics, we work with words only, speech through free association, slips of the tongue and dreams.

Our diagnosis system looks simple but it is far from it. We work with Freud's classifications of Neurosis= hysteria, phobic and obsessional neurosis. Other classifications include psychosis and perversion of which there are sub divisions like with neurosis.

I'll a bit more in a bit, but step in with any questions you want, and I hope one or more of our psychologists will add their side to the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

Firstly lets not turn this into my way is better than yours. We are both highly trained professionals. As an I analyst I'm interested in the unconscious meaning of the symptom not curing the symptom per se.

:confused: Em, not sure if this was meant to be posted in this thread? I am not a trained anything yet. I am possibly looking into changing career paths altogether (currently working in finance) and so was just wondering whats the difference between the two careers of psychotherapist and psychoanalyst.
    Training is based upon post-grad study, and personal analysis. Personal analysis is fundamental in relation to be an analyst. As I said my first analysis lasted 5 years twice a week for 3, and one a week for two. I am back in analysis again after an eight year break, which is three time a week.

I training as a Lacaian Psychoanalysis, which is very strongly based upon a re-reading of Freud through structural linguistics, we work with words only, speech through free association, slips of the tongue and dreams.

Our diagnosis system looks simple but it is far from it. We work with Freud's classifications of Neurosis= hysteria, phobic and obsessional neurosis. Other classifications include psychosis and perversion of which there are sub divisions like with neurosis.

I'll a bit more in a bit, but step in with any questions you want, and I hope one or more of our psychologists will add their side to the thread

Thanks, so the qualification of psychotherapist comes first and then with further study and/being in analysis yourself comes psychoanalyst?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There are many different schools of therapy. Have a look at the Irish Council for Psychotherapy website which gives information about some of the major ones.....or do a search in this forum. (I'm CBT, and yes I'm interested in getting people better, so that their symptoms no longer bother them)

• Advertisement

:confused: Em, not sure if this was meant to be posted in this thread? I am not a trained anything yet. I am possibly looking into changing career paths altogether (currently working in finance) and so was just wondering whats the difference between the two careers of psychotherapist and psychoanalyst.

Sorry it was directed to anybody who posts here, rather than just you. Sometime's people think their format of therapy is the only way to go. \hope that clears it up.

There are many different schools of therapy. Have a look at the Irish Council for Psychotherapy website which gives information about some of the major ones.....or do a search in this forum. (I'm CBT, and yes I'm interested in getting people better, so that their symptoms no longer bother them)

JC, would you mind describing your work as a psychologist differes from say the way mine do. I ask as I have a look at the web-site and think there bit on psychoanalysis id quite poor, so maybe it's the same for yours.

I know it can be a pain writing about the same topic to the power of x, but I think it could add to this thead. Aplogies if my choice of words offended you, it was the one thing I was trying to avoid here:o

Advertisement