Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richo has arthritis :'(

Options
  • 31-01-2011 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I hadn't noticed, but other's had mentioned it that Richo was walking like a duck lately - a little wobble arse on the lad!.

Then over the last few days he was quiet and off form, then this evening he his legs collapsed under him.. I got the fright of my life, then he began dragging his bum along the ground and crying with a little distress.

Off to the Vet with him, he has arthritis in his right hind leg. His left is stiff, as is his hips but they have full range of movement..

He was given two injections, one for pain and an anti-inflamatory.

He's booked in for X-rays next Monday to assess the extent of his arthritis and will be on a monthly injection.

Oh, and his diet needs adjusting..

So guys, anyone else experience this and might have some helpful hints and tips for me please?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Aww I hope he feels better soon!:( My baba doesn't have arthritis but has angular limb deformity in his hocks - the growth plates at his hocks closed too soon on one side of the bone and the other side kept growing so his back legs are bowed and his feet point out. He had the first leg straigtened 12 weeks ago this week and will be getting the second one sorted later in the year when he's built up the "new" leg and we've had a break and he can run and play etc and also when the insurance renews ;)

So....as preventative we

keep him skinny to take the pressure off

Supplements - he gets Flexicose and these Luposan pellets from zooplus - he hasn't needed his painkillers/anti-inflams. since starting on these 2 supplements and was able to excercise more and go back to daycare twice a week - I experimented with Ester-C with disasterous poopoo problems so I'm sticking to these two for the time being!

Restricted excercise - we found the right balance for him - so he could run/play/swim/walk enough to have him to keep him from climbing up the walls but no so he'd get too tired/stiff

He has a ramp from the car - I spent AGES deciding if I should get a ramp - I think I was worried what people would think etc but it honesly takes a few seconds to take it out and he loves using it lol. What made me finally get it was when he hurt the good leg jumping out one day and was lame and in pain

Stairgate to stop him using the stairs - I'm over cautious here but it's just not worth the risk of his leg giving way or him slipping IMO

At the moment we have hall runners on the wooden floors and a mat in front of his bed - on the off chance his leg gives way and he slips - we'll prob phase this out when I'm confident the leg is stable

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Have you tried glucosamine/chondroitin supplements? My dog improved immensely a few months after I started her on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Really sorry to hear that.

+1 on the car ramp, I've used one for a few dogs, really helps.

I used to give an old rottie cross Green Lipped Mussel Extract, easy enough to get from health food shops.

What bedding do you use? Something nice and warm for the winter, maybe one of those hot water bottle things that go in the microwave for underneath him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ISDW wrote: »
    What bedding do you use? Something nice and warm for the winter, maybe one of those hot water bottle things that go in the microwave for underneath him.

Thanks everyone..

His bedding, wherever he lays his head!.. Couch, my bed (usually, then there's a wrestling match for mattress space and quilt) or he's got a nice soft spot on the floor if the cat lets him use it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

mags16 wrote: »
    Have you tried glucosamine/chondroitin supplements? My dog improved immensely a few months after I started her on them.

+1 on glucosamine, cod liver oil can help, and evening primrose oil in small doses. Keep an eye on weight, as it really does make a huge difference and warmth, a simple hot water bottle in his bed or heat pad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

We had Cody on Prednoleucotropin (PLT) for the last few years for his arthritis. worked wonders for him, we bought them from the vets for ages but can get them online with a presciption a lot cheaper.

We also changed him over to ProPac senior food, made such a difference to him. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Changing him to a senior food is a good idea - many have glucosamine and chondroitin in it and will also be lowing in calories.

We had great success with ArthriAid on a very old Springer, was like a new dog after a few weeks. He did have to get intermittent anti inflammatory and painkiller injections for the rest of the time we had him but he did very well on ArthriAid. There is also a product called SeniorAid that is similar and I have heard good things about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

This is what worked on on my 12 year old 50+ Kilo boxer Robbie. We got 1 about 6 months ago just on the off chance it would help as his back legs were so stiff he could barely get up at times. Best 30ish quid I ever spent! He went from been able to manage a short walk every day (if lucky) & 1 long walk every 3-4 days to by being so annoying & energetic to 2 walks a day again! I also give him glucosamine Hcl & previcox! These were been taken along time before he got the collar though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My friend used Sasha's blend that EGAR I think recommended on here. Along with cutting down food and going for senior food, and her somewhat slimmer Pom x staff (yes it looked strange as it sounded) did quite well for about a year, became very mobile again, but sadly died from something unrelated.

Hope poor Rico improves, I used to love seeing his pic's on here(and Ruby), he's gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hey guys, sorry for not getting back to the thread.

Richo had more tests, plus x-rays - no arthritis (yet).

The problem is hip displacia :(

So he's to lose a few kgs, on a low fat diet. Moderate exercise and no jumping to or from high places - and he loves his jumping :'(

As he's only four the vet says he'll probably need a hip replacement when he's older, but with the proper care, diet & exercise that day can be put off for awhile.

Thanks again for all the advice guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement