Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA good idea??

Options
  • 31-01-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hi I just started mauy thai I have only been at it for about 3 weeks, recently I saw an advert for MMA classes, Ive always been interested in MMA as well as mauy thai, basically Im wondering would it be a bad idea to start up MMA since Ive only started mauy thai, would I be better of waiting like 6 months or so and get to know mauy thai before signing up to MMA?? :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

Have you the time, money and focus to train both? What is the aim of your training? Do you want to compete in the cage?

Different schools of thought on this; one says its better to get a good grounding in a style before mixing it with others while the argument is that the essence of MMA is mixing it all up.

I think your Muay Thai will compliment the MMA and if you have the dosh and time then why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

if you want to learn MMA then join MMA now, Stay at thai also if you want to compete at it or helpthe MMA

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I see no reason to wait. The learning curve is steep in MMA (also in Muay Thai), so the sooner the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm going to say it depends on the club.. Some are very good, with a very competitive ethos, and some not so good.

If I was training in a style and club which I enjoyed I'd be reluctant to go elsewhere without getting advice on the club, esp. with MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Depends on a few things:
    your age
    your interest in competition
    schedule of the gym

If you can keep doing Muay Thai and learn MMA at the same time - good idea. If you're going to swap one Muay Thai class for a MMA class - bad idea imo.

I think it's good to take the time to get a good grounding in a particular art (Muay thai, bjj, boxing, wrestling) train at it a couple of times a week (ideally >3) and after a year (or 3 years if you have the time) make the conversion to MMA.

I know others will say and have said, jump into mma now but i think in certain contexts it's good to have a well developed base in something prior.

• Advertisement
Advertisement