Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling footwear?(pins&needles)

Options
  • 31-01-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

I cycle a trek 7.2 wearing running shoes and i often get pins and needles 3/4 of the way through the cycle aswell as cold feet as a result of wearing them.
    What would appropriate and reasonably priced cycling footwear be to buy for 12km cycles to work and weekend cycling?. Online or in any shops in dublin?.

Am i right about getting the pins and needles as a result of the soft underfoot of running shoes?.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Would you consider a clipless pedals + cycling shoes combination? I'm not expert, but the stiffer soul of cycling shoes might help alleviate your problem. Plus you'll have the added advantage of clipless pedals, if you so wish.

I just use SPDs with 'Specialized' MTB Shoes and find the setup great because I can walk around without protruding cleats, but some people prefer a road bike setup (e.g. Look Keos, SPD-SLs, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Would you consider a clipless pedals + cycling shoes combination? I'm not expert, but the stiffer soul of cycling shoes might help alleviate your problem. Plus you'll have the added advantage of clipless pedals, if you so wish.

I just use SPDs with 'Specialized' MTB Shoes and find the setup great because I can walk around without protruding cleats, but some people prefer a road bike setup (e.g. Look Keos, SPD-SLs, etc.)

SPD's now theres an idea. No i wouldnt go for clipless pedals/cycling shoe combo because im not covering such distances or serious cycles to justify them. Ive never worn them before and would be wary of forgetting them when in slow traffic and coming down sidewards!.
    Ive just remembered after i posted that i have a pair of proper hockey shoes with nice hard soles that i havent worn in years. So i might give them a try but if anyone suggests alternatives ill take that on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056164119

There is a certain amount of getting used to clipless pedals, but most of us here use them to commute on a daily basis. After a few weeks, they become second nature and you don't ever forget to clip them out.
    Don't worry about short distances, you don't have to be doing 200km a week to justify SPDs.

SPDs work because there is a metal or thick plastic plate covering the entire sole (padded by the appropriate amount of that). The cleats of the SPD are affixed to this plate, meaning that the pressure applied to the pedal is spread over a much larger area of the foot, rather than being concentrated entirely in the pedal region.

Although a shoe with a stiffer sole may help, it won't dissipate the forces as well as a clipless shoe and you may still get the same problem over longer distances.

If you're dead set against SPDs, there are a few other options;

- Good quality hiking or work boots will often have a metal or plastic plate in the sole to protect against glass and nail penetration. This will be effective.
    - You can use MTB shoes without the clipless bit.
    - Get a wider platform pedal, which will spread the load over a wider area
    - Check your pedalling style. The ball of your foot should be at the middle of the pedal, providing the bulk of the force. If you're pedalling with the heel, arch or toes, you're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

seamus wrote: »
    Don't worry about short distances, you don't have to be doing 200km a week to justify SPDs any new cycling gear.

fixed that for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Thanks Seamus and Timbuk2
    Interesting points about technique too. Im going to look into those wide platform pedals for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

What you describe used to occur for me too, but only on longer rides. I found changing my footwear (old skate shoes) to less padded runners did the job and also thinner socks.

Advertisement