Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacker/travel insurance cover and depression

Options
  • 31-01-2011 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

I am going to France soon for 6 months and am trying to find travel insurance to cover me. I have my flights and accommodation all sorted, but am finding it difficult to get a good deal on insurance. I have depression almost 2 years now and am on prescribed anti-depressants for it. Most insurers count this as a pre-existing medical condition and won't cover me.

Can anyone please tell me of any company that will cover me?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Is there no way to get covereage for everything bar that? I'm not sure about depression but when I was going away my only condition was asthma. I had to either pay a big premium for asthma related illnesses or else say that I would be covered for everything on my trip other than an asthma attack. As I knew I more than likely would not have an attack I went for it. If you know your condition is under control with the pills you're taking, maybe you could do the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

In any case, most travel insurances won't cover you against mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Doesn't seem right that you wouldn't get travel insurance on account of depression. Perhaps there's a work-around if you pay some kind of premium. If you're on VHI, you'll have travel insurance, or they should he happy to add you.

One other thing, if it's France you're going to, make sure you have your European Union health card. If you carry it, you're covered for any accident and emergency costs. It's an EU agreement. There's a website where you sign up.

Advertisement