Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perdido Street Station

Options
  • 31-01-2011 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Ok so this is my first attempt at Mr. China Mieville after coming highly reccommended.

After a 1/3 of the way through I have decided to stop reading it. I can appreciate the quality of the writing along with original and imaginative world and to an extent I'm actually enjoying it a lot. But ... its actually grossing me out. I'm not the best with bugs/insects etc and the way I am imagining the different races, the remade and Mr. Motley (the crime boss) is sticking in my head to the point where its putting me off my food and invading my dreams.

Anyone else feel like this while reading it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

No, but the one thing that did bug me about this book was his excessive overuse of one particular verb, it really started to play on my nerves. He used the same word to decribe the sound something made for everything, everytime it happened. Excellent book though. THe decription and imaginging of a new world is very well done.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Nope, although the fact that his descriptions were intense and visceral enough to leave you uneasy speaks a lot for his skill!

Fantastic author who has recently been getting the attention he deserves. Roll on "Embassyworld"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Just started Iron Council today, cant get enough of him try The City and The City as well. Tis brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

ixoy wrote: »
    . Roll on "Embassyworld"!

Tried googling embassyworld and it came up blank,, what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's definately a book that gets inside your head, but stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Tried googling embassyworld and it came up blank,, what is it?
    My mistake - it's Embassytown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

Loved this book. He's a fantastic world builder. However my favourite of the Bas-Lag books is without a doubt "The Scar". Brilliant book.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lyanna

No, I can't say I had that reaction. I loved "Perdido Street Station" and am working my way through Miéville's other books at the moment. I can see why you'd stop if it's weirding you out to that extent though (invading your dreams??? That would be seriously unsettling!). I'd still recommend trying some of Miéville's other works though if you appreciate his writing style and imagination. They're all a bit weird but I don't think any of the others are quite as creepy as PSS (although the other Bas Lag books do involve the Remade and non-human races). I haven't got around to "The City and the City" yet but I've heard excellent reviews of it - maybe try that one?

Advertisement